Kimber or Ruger - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Kimber or Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Check the numbers. How many Kimber 1911's do they put out in a year comparatively? Ofcourse you are going to read bad reviews. They have many many more customers!!
I'll take your word on the numbers and their correlation to the number of reviews (good and bad) that higher sales will produce. Coupled with the bad reviews, however, came a lot of negative customer-service reports. Of all the reviews I have read of any 1911, it has been my experience that Kimber has a slightly higher percentage of problems and a much higher percentage of customer service issues. And, again, since there are other manufacturers who offer similar features at a similar price (Colt and Springfield come to mind), I would personally buy a new gun from them, rather than Kimber.

I work with a couple of guys who have Kimbers and love them. One of them had an issue with one of his two Kimbers, and his CS experience wasn't the best, but it wasn't bad. I have fired both of his Kimbers, and they were more accurate than I would have believed possible considering the cheap ammo I was using. But some good CS experiences do not, in my mind, outweigh the nearly all good CS experiences I have read about or had personally with Colt or Springfield. And that's why I made the statement that Kimber will not get my business.

Quote:
Apparently you haven't read my review http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...-tle-ii-41042/
Now I have!

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #22

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I really like the ruger also. The only real negative thing I have heard about it is it being cast vs forged. I don't think for the amount of shooting I will be doing with it that it would be a problem for me, but is something kinda at the back of my mind I guess.
Personally I also think the whole cast vs forged argument is pointless.

I'm not a metallurgist, or machinist, but I also think people are using unfound judgements and misinformation to conclude forged implies it is better than cast.

1. Whether something is cast or forged or cnc'd depends on its size and complexity. Some designs with intricate details are difficult or impossible to forge and must be cast. Think of a frame with a lot of acute angles and series of picatinny rail slots.

2. There are critical car engine parts, and aerospace parts that are cast steel. Is a gun really going to take more abuse than those things?

3. It's the sum of the parts that is important. There are many high end 1911's, like STI, with cast frames because the complexity of the design (all the acute corners) is not feasible to achieve using a forged method.

Last edited by misterballistic; 10-24-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #23

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

It won't be your last (or only) 1911 anyway, so just get one that fits in your price range and is built by a quality maker!

Don't forget that Kimber suggests a 400-round break-in period, which could increase the total cost a bit more than a Kimber.

For the record, my avatar is of my Kimber Pro TLE II. I really like it, though I can't say that I love it. I'm already thinking of a CBOB

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #24

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would consider Kimber to be in the top tier of production 1911s. As Ruger is new to production 1911s, right now I'd say they're about in the middle tier. Ruger makes only one version, whereas Kimber makes many different versions. 3.5", 4"/4.25", and 5" versions. You can get the Kimber in 9mm, .45, and 10mm. If you can afford a Kimber, I would go with them over a Ruger. Nothing wrong with the Ruger, but a lack of options, versions, sizes, and calibers turns me off. Once Ruger starts expanding their 1911 lineup, I might give them a try. Just my two cents...

Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #25

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Props to Ruger, though, for starting in a very focused way! They aren't diluting their efforts by trying to slam into the dense marketplace with 20 offerings.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #26

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Props to Ruger, though, for starting in a very focused way! They aren't diluting their efforts by trying to slam into the dense marketplace with 20 offerings.
Give them a advertising cycle to review sales. I think you'll see Ruger go all Kimberesk on the model offerings.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 10-23-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #27

I have a Kimber 1911 carry it everywhere got a army buddy who carrys a full size ruger 1911 my advice is find some one and shoot there's before you buy one we shot side by side both had more accuracy with the Kimber at 25 yards the Kimber was lighter weight both good solid choices though. Honestly kimber's accuracy is it's best feature and its mainly because of the barrel. Its pretty much a bull barrel on a handgun.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I really like the ruger also. The only real negative thing I have heard about it is it being cast vs forged. I don't think for the amount of shooting I will be doing with it that it would be a problem for me, but is something kinda at the back of my mind I guess.
Oh yeah, if you have any concerns about cast steel just remember that the GP100 is a cast steel frame and you won't find many people complaining they are breaking or cracking! Don't worry about cast steel (especially if it comes from Ruger) and we're talking investment cast heat treated 4140 steel; NOT die-cast that people seem to get confused with. Anyone who will tell you that a modern, investment cast steel gun part is substandard are the same people who think the moon is made outta cheese!

BTW, apparently Kimber does not disclose whether their frames are forged or cast so don't count it being forged with certainty. Many people just assume they are forged but the company doesn't say either way and usually high end firearms companies will go out of their way to say something is forged as a selling point so it's a bit strange that Kimber doesn't say what process they use for the manufacture of their frames. Go ahead and take a look at their website. Even on their higher end 1911's like the Gold Cup, the frame material is only listed as STEEL. Doesn't say how it is produced. Regardless they are still fine firearms.

Last edited by misterballistic; 10-29-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #29

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Personally I have not had a good experience with Kimber pistols. They do sell a lot of them though. But I also see many of them selling used. I have not fired or even held the Ruger. From what I've read they seem o be pretty good weapons but they are pretty new. There are a couple other directions one could look at other than these two brands and get a well made and not too expensive weapon. But if you have already got down to these two and it was me I would probably lean to the Ruger just due to my past experience with Kimber.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ruger

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterballistic View Post
Oh yeah, if you have any concerns about cast steel just remember that the GP100 is a cast steel frame and you won't find many people complaining they are breaking or cracking! Don't worry about cast steel (especially if it comes from Ruger) and we're talking investment cast heat treated 4140 steel; NOT die-cast that people seem to get confused with. Anyone who will tell you that a modern, investment cast steel gun part is substandard are the same people who think the moon is made outta cheese!

BTW, apparently Kimber does not disclose whether their frames are forged or cast so don't count it being forged with certainty. Many people just assume they are forged but the company doesn't say either way and usually high end firearms companies will go out of their way to say something is forged as a selling point so it's a bit strange that Kimber doesn't say what process they use for the manufacture of their frames. Go ahead and take a look at their website. Even on their higher end 1911's like the Gold Cup, the frame material is only listed as STEEL. Doesn't say how it is produced. Regardless they are still fine firearms.
Concur completely.

Ruger all the way, can't get me to say a bad thing about them. Customer service is second to none based on my experiance.

NRA Benefactor Life
US Army 1972-1980
TSRA Life;GOA Life