Kimber or Ruger - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber or Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've seen too many negative reports about Kimber for me to give them my money, especially when there are so many other 1911 manufacturers selling around the same price point.

I fondled one of the Rugers in the shop and loved it, but I haven't had the chance to shoot one. My only concerns with Ruger are: 1) their new models frequently have bugs and 2) their "improved" internal extractor. I don't know what they mean by "improved." If that means that only the Ruger extractor will fit it, then I wouldn't be thrilled. If the extractor on another brand of 1911 doesn't perform, you can always replace it with a Wilson or some other after-market part; but if you can only use their extractor and it sucks, you're stuck.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
I've seen too many negative reports about Kimber for me to give them my money, especially when there are so many other 1911 manufacturers selling around the same price point.

I fondled one of the Rugers in the shop and loved it, but I haven't had the chance to shoot one. My only concerns with Ruger are: 1) their new models frequently have bugs and 2) their "improved" internal extractor. I don't know what they mean by "improved." If that means that only the Ruger extractor will fit it, then I wouldn't be thrilled. If the extractor on another brand of 1911 doesn't perform, you can always replace it with a Wilson or some other after-market part; but if you can only use their extractor and it sucks, you're stuck.
I've got three Kimbers...only problem I ever had was with the first one, it didn't like the mag that came with it, got the Kim-Pros and the problem went away. The other two came with the Kim-Pros...NO PROBLEMS! Shot the heck out of my Ruger and I think it is outstanding, currently in the shop getting ambi-safety installed, that and my custom monogramed grips are the only changes I will make to it.
ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Check the numbers. How many Kimber 1911's do they put out in a year comparatively? Ofcourse you are going to read bad reviews. They have many many more customers!!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1402 Posts
Likes Given: 1452

Dinky Dau

Now those are some fine 1911 style pistols. Are they all 45s? If you are running out of room in your gun safe I will be glad to store some of them for you. Seriously those are some fine pieces you have there! And KIM's picture of the New Ruger is also impressive. I have never held one or checked them out at the present time. Looks good!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #15

Likes Given: 1

I really like the ruger also. The only real negative thing I have heard about it is it being cast vs forged. I don't think for the amount of shooting I will be doing with it that it would be a problem for me, but is something kinda at the back of my mind I guess.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just the frame of the Ruger is cast-the slide is machined. I wouldn't even give the fact that the frame is cast a second thought. After all, Ruger pioneered the mass casting process (investment cast lost wax process) for firearms. I've never heard of a casting part from Ruger failing with 1st hand experience. Having said all that there's nothing wrong with Kimbers.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:

Apparently you haven't read my review http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f76/kimber-america-kimber-stainless-tle-ii-41042/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Check the numbers. How many Kimber 1911's do they put out in a year comparatively? Ofcourse you are going to read bad reviews. They have many many more customers!!
Exactly, it is the same reason people see so many Glock problems. There are simply more of them!

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #18

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
I am fairly new to shooting handguns but have a hankering to get a 1911. Although I obviously like some of the higher end guns, I think it would be wise to start out with something a little bit less. What has caught my eye is the Kimber Custom series and the new Ruger SR1911. I've read a fair amount in some searches that I have done on here. Just kinda curious on any other input. Personally at this point I am leaning toward something like a Kimber Custom or TLE. Any opinion/factual input would be great. Thanks.
Another VERY happy multiple Kimber owner (not just 1911s but rifles too). BUT I would not hesitate to buy a Ruger 1911. You should check out the Springfield Armory Loaded too. A lot f gun for the money.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Dinky Dau

Now those are some fine 1911 style pistols. Are they all 45s? If you are running out of room in your gun safe I will be glad to store some of them for you. Seriously those are some fine pieces you have there! And KIM's picture of the New Ruger is also impressive. I have never held one or checked them out at the present time. Looks good!

All .45acp...plenty of room left in the vault...have a second Fusion on order should be coming around the end of August.
ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #20

would it be safe to say that there isn't just one specific good brand out there, that there are multiple makers with great weapons. Like this Ruger, I really really like the way it looks, and it has a fairly tempting price tag on it. You guys are doing a fair job of talking me into one. hahahaha