Kimber question?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kimber question?

I have an older (about 10 years old) Kimber Ultra Elite. I think the CDP is the closest to my older version.

In this post about choosing your firs 1911,http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/choosing-your-first-1911-a-21860/ a comment is made about NOT getting a Custom II or any Kimber with a roman numeral II in the name.

Can you tell me what the difference is between the custom vs the custom II and where my older ultra elite falls?

One day I would like to get a 4" Kimber to add to my collection and am trying to educate myself with regard to how the different models function.
Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

All Kimber's with a "II" in the name have the firing pin block safety installed - the older Kimbers do not. Many folks believe (as do I) that the older Kimbers, before they became the great 1911 mass marketer, were of better quality.

I have 1911s with the FPB and 1911s without the FPB and it isn't a big deal to me. Some folks rebel against anything JMB didn't design into the original...

Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

My custom II is from CA so it had to have the FP Block to make it legal.

It shoots great and functions perfectly so what is the big deal.....

Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
My custom II is from CA so it had to have the FP Block to make it legal.

It shoots great and functions perfectly so what is the big deal.....
Yo Tango, you did know that Kimbers with a "II" have the ghey right?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Since I have only ever shot Kimbers with the FPB I wouldn't know the difference. From what I've read it's keyed on the grip safety? How does this affect the performance of the weapon? I think the only noticeable difference with the Swartz safety is when you field strip the pistol and you accidentally depress the grip safety you can't remove the slide or some such.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 03-25-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
Since I have only ever shot Kimbers with the FPB I wouldn't know the difference. From what I've read it's keyed on the grip safety? How does this affect the performance of the weapon? I think the only noticeable difference with the Swartz safety is when you field strip the pistol and you accidentally depress the grip safety you can't remove the slide or some such.
That's basically the difference. I've known folks that bent the little arm that comes up by trying to reinstall the slide while the grip safety is depressed. The Colt FPB works off the trigger and some folks swear it affects the "crispness" of the trigger pull - if it does I never noticed...