Kimber Problem and the Fix
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber Problem and the Fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Kimber Problem and the Fix

Fig. A shows my problem. In a fit of utter madness I rounded off the tangs on my Kimber Pro Carry HD II! Ever since I have been looking for a low cost but effective way of fixing the problem. TIG welding the tangs and reshaping to the correct configuration (Fig. B) was the ideal solution, except that it was way, way too expensive! Plus I may have had to have the gun refinished by hard chroming it! SO my search continued. While looking at the Brownell's on-line catalog For beavertails I came across some that had a 0.220" radius. The Radius of the Kimber tangs is 0.250" Not much of a difference but I thought it just might be enough to do what I had in mind! With the help of a benefactor I was able to purchase the parts which included a Smith & Alexander 0.220" beavertail and the installation jig.

The parts arrived in very short order (see fig. C). Once they arrived I installed the jig without the Teflon washers as I wanted to get the jig as close to the metal as possible (see fig. D) and began filing away at the tangs with a 6" bastard file! The progress was slower that molasses in winter! I was not making headway at all! So I scraped up enough cash to buy some badly needed Dremel supplies and tackled the problem again! The Dremel make short work of grinding and reshaping the tangs (see fig. E) Once the tangs had the correct radius it was time to fit the new Smith & Alexander beavertail grip safety.

I knew that there would still be a gap between the grip safety and the tangs, but I had a solution to make it look a little better. While sanding and reshaping the beavertail I flattened the curve of the tangs! This gave the tangs a tapered look rather than a rounded one (see fig. F) I also narrowed the width of the spoon on the beavertail to match the width of the reshaped tangs at the narrowest part, the back end (see fig. J). The result looks great! The narrowing is noticeable but it looks very good! After fitting the arm of the beavertail (or so I thought) I set out to reshape the beavertail and fit it to the frame. This took a lot of time as I was constantly putting the part back into the frame to check the fit. At one point I thought that I was finished but I wasn't happy with the way the gun felt in my hand, so I continued to reshape the beavertail. I ended up reshaping the frame and the thumb safety as well(see fig. G). Everything was now ready for polishing (or so I thought).

I polished the parts using 3 different compounds from course to fine. I produced a mirror-like finish on the beavertail, which felt very smooth in my hand when installed on the gun (See figs. H, I & M). I Then went to reassemble the gun and see how it felt and functioned. To my utter surprise and heartbreak the arm of the beavertail failed to rise the push rod, a part of the Swartz-style internal firing pin block safety. I had to re fit the arm to the gun! I didn't like having to file on the arm of the beavertail as I was afraid of messing up the end of the arm in such a way that it failed to keep the trigger from moving backward when the hammer was cocked and the thumb safety disengaged! But I managed to fit it properly! So when I go to reinstall the push rod, It's gone! I grew wings and flew away! All that work and rework was going to be all for naught if I could not find the push rod! But find it I could not!

Without the push rod the gun will not fire as the Schwartz-style safety is one that blocks the firing pin from moving until disengaged! Both the Colt Series 80 and the Kimber Series II line employs a different style of this "solution without a problem" safety. Kimber's system uses a forged part that is pushed up by the same arm that prevents the trigger from moving backward when the hammer is cocked and the thumb safety is disengaged. The curved bottom of the push rod rides atop the arm of the grip safety. It's a delicate balancing act to get the arm to push the rod up enough to disengage the safety while allowing the slide to move without encountering the tip of the push rod. But wait! There is a way to defeat the Swartz safety in a Kimber since the safety can not be removed without removing the rear sight! (The safety can be removed from a Colt and aftermarket parts sold to fill the gap left by the removal of one of the parts). All one needs to defeat the Schwartz safety in a Kimber is a standard firing pin. So I switched out the firing pins with the one available to me, my SLE. It works! It works like a charm!

I did call Kimber this afternoon and said that I needed to buy a push rod, expecting the salesman to tell me that because it was part of the safety that it was a safety item and thus could not be sold! But this guy is going to send me a new one gratis! Sweet! But I like not having that part not in there! As soon as I arrives, I'll install it.

My brother in law and his wife are coming for a visit in late April/early May and we will be going shooting. I'll give you a range report on both my Kimbers at that time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

Location: In a little town on the east coast of Florida across the river from the VAB.

55 views and not a single comment? And there were those who wanted me to do the post! Sad. Very Sad.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1776 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 5364

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelonegunman View Post
55 views and not a single comment? And there were those who wanted me to do the post! Sad. Very Sad.
We are still viewing the pictures, reading the text and soaking it all in.

Don't be sad, be glad!
It's kinda like when it get's quite at dinner. Everyone is enjoying their food.

I like the fix, it turned out great.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

I am glad you got things to work!

Be careful with the Dremel. There are times that hungry beast will take off more than you want it to.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

nice work!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I own a Kimber Pro Carry 2 and still do not understand what you did and why?

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

goldngun Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Me too....

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

goldngun Likes This 
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
It's hard to explain why I did it, let's just say I had a moment of insanity brought on by fear and desperation as well as disappointment and frustration. What I did is obvious in pic "A". I took a Dremel and rounded of the tangs, trying to make a beavertail grip safety fit when it was never intended to fit. This was due to blindly trusting a man whom I thought was a gunsmith who in reality turned out to be a fraud, a machinist passing himself off as a gunsmith.

So I had a disfigured frame that needed to be fixed. But the best fix, TIG welding the tangs and reshaping them was way out of my reach financially. So I hit upon the idea of reducing the length of the tangs, thus minimizing the gap between tangs and beavertail. I bought a .220" radius jig and B/T. When I sanded the curves of the tangs flat, at an angle, from greater to lesser towards the back of the gun this allowed me to narrow the spoon of the B/T and blend the B/T and the frame in a more pleasing shape. If I do say so myself, it was a success and I could not be more pleased with the results.

Does that help?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I'm sorry, but it didn't help me understand the "why" part of it. Was this a concealment mod? Performance? Comfort? What was the eventual goal?

I can see what you did, and it looks like you did a great job. I'm anxious to hear your range report.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I'm sorry, but it didn't help me understand the "why" part of it. Was this a concealment mod? Performance? Comfort? What was the eventual goal?

I can see what you did, and it looks like you did a great job. I'm anxious to hear your range report.
Hopefully the range report will come sometime between the last of this month to the first of next month. I'm anxious to shoot them as I have concerns about the modified Wolff recoil springs in both of them.

Why did I do what? Why did I round off the end of the tangs? Or why did I reduce the damage done my shortening down the damaged tangs so I could put a beavertail grip safety on the gun without the gap between the round tangs and the beavertail look like a replica of the Grand Canyon. The mod not only restored the ability of the gun to be fired but restored the look of the gun. I had to narrow the spoon of the beavertail to match the width of the now angular tangs.

Why did I round off the tangs in the first place? Stupidity.

Answer your question?