Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-problem-75141/)

1911Shooter 10-27-2012 04:05 AM

Kimber problem

Hello all! I have a Kimber ultra raptor II. After cleaning it today I did my usual safety check and low and behold, epic fail. Put the safety on, pulled the trigger and that was fine however as I disengaged the safety it dropped to half cock. The weapon did this repeatedly so I broke it down to check the sear which looked good. I did the same check with just the frame without fail. I put the slide back on and back to fail. It only fails with the slide in place. This weapon only has 300 rounds through it.. Thanks for any help

rock185 10-27-2012 05:30 AM

Hello 1911Shooter, I'll give this a shot. From a distance, this sounds like what Colt would call "scant safety". This is a situation where the thumb safety, in the safe position, allows the sear to move slightly when the safety is on and the trigger pulled. The sear has moved slightly from under the hammer's full-cock notch, to a point where the hammer fallls when the safety lever is pushed down to the fire position, allowing the sear to move rhat last little bit from underneath the hammer's full cock notch.

When you do the same check with the slide removed, the thumb safety can move up more than when the slide is installed. That is, the safety is not stopped by the V-notch in the slide. The lug of the thumb safety can then move just a little further, stopping the sear from moving and the hammer falling when the safety is pushed down to the fire position. This is why the thumb safety is always fitted with the slide mounted normally on the frame. This is a very unsafe condition. Whether or not I am right on this, it definitely needs to go back to the manufacturer for warranty repair. I would strongly suggest that the gun not be loaded or fired until this defect is repaired...ymmv

Mark F 10-27-2012 11:38 AM

I wouldn't send it to the factory just yet. Go to a quality gun shop and have a 1911 gunsmith look it over. I have a Kimber TLE II. Love it.

mountainman13 10-27-2012 11:47 AM

Carefully look at the parts involved and how they line up. I think you can figure it out. If not, bring it to a smith or send to manufacturer depending on which is cheaper. If it worked before you took it apart it is likely something minor you are missing. The gun is unsafe at this point.

danf_fl 10-27-2012 12:53 PM

How many rounds have you shot through it?
Get your Kuhnhausen book out and measure the length of the disconnector or see if the disconnector is worn.

If the slide does not push the disconnector down far enough, it still could have contact with the sear.

1911Shooter 10-27-2012 02:52 PM

Alright I have pulled it apart a few times now and can't find the problem though I do suspect it is in the safety. Next stop will be the gunsmith to see if I am overlooking something. I will keep ya'all posted and thanks for your help!

Overkill0084 10-27-2012 03:14 PM

If it's under a year old, call Kimber. It's not just a crappy finish job, it's a safety issue. It's their responsibility to fix it.
This is why you buy stuff new, because they have to fix it under warranty if it screws up.

1911Shooter 10-27-2012 06:43 PM

Ok so gunsmith says that the Kimber ambi safety appears to have worn and looks like it was filed to fit wrong at the factory

1911Shooter 10-27-2012 06:49 PM

I am having the Kimber ambi changed to a Wilson single side with the wide lever and this should fix the problem. Luck of the MiM batch I guess. Still love my Kimber.

Overkill0084 10-27-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911Shooter (Post 992061)
I am having the Kimber ambi changed to a Wilson single side with the wide lever and this should fix the problem. Luck of the MiM batch I guess. Still love my Kimber.

Quote:

Ok so gunsmith says that the Kimber ambi safety appears to have worn and looks like it was filed to fit wrong at the factory
You're nicer than I would be. 300 rds isn't even enough for Kimber Corp. to consider it properly broken in. Yet one of their top of the range Ultra (Pricey) Raptors has a failure of a key safety feature due to poor workmanship? I'd be a bit PO'd.