Kimber Pro CDP II - Shells popping me in the face. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber Pro CDP II - Shells popping me in the face.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My guess is that it's an extractor issue. Unless you have done something destructive to the ejector they seldom "go bad". If they do, you can pretty much verify with a simple visual inspection. If the ejector is bent, or has a witness mark it's bad.

After the visual ejector inspection eliminates it as the issue, the next check is to see if the firing pin stop is doing it's job of indexing the extractor. What'd he say? The FPS should hold the extractor in place and prevent it from clocking (wriggling/twisting).

Remove the slide from the receiver and remove the barrel. Using your fingernail or other NON-destructive tool, see if you can rotate the extractor. If you can induce rotational movement you have more-than-likely found your problem. The fix is a new, over-sized FPS and the skilz to properly install it. If you do not possess this talent don't waste your time and money, have a Smith do the job.
If the extractor is properly indexed (doesn't rotate) move on to the next test.
With the gun's slide in your weak side hand, take a live 230gr ball round with your strong side hand and slide it up the breech face centering it on the breech as it would be when at battery. This positions the round with the extractor claw on the center line of the round. This is the same process the round goes through as it's stripped from the mag and chambered.
  • If this procedure is difficult to do (hard to get the round's rim into the extractor's claw), the extractor tension is too great. Hold that thought.
  • If you get the round captured with little to no difficulty, gingerly (subjective) shake the slide in multiple directions. If it comes loose, the extractor tension is too light. Hold that thought.
The round should remain captured by the claw. If it remains you passed the test. If not, your extractor needs tuned. (See slilz reference above.)

With your problem of in-your-face brass, my guess is that your extractor pressure is too great.

Given enough time and talent you can tune your extractor to beer-pong the spent brass into a dump bag impressing small children and large pets.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 04-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Not familiar with the gun but it sounds like an ejector issue.
I had to send my CDP II in for some work they replaced the extractor while they had it. Mine had a FTF problem and since it was almost new I sent it back to see what all they did. It took 6 weeks to get it back and has been flawless since.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.