Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber Pro Carry external extractor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-pro-carry-external-extractor-32582/)

spittinfire 10-04-2010 02:46 AM

Kimber Pro Carry external extractor

Was this a short lived thing for Kimber? Mine has it, new ones don't, older ones don't the history is hit & miss on the net. Can anyone here clear the record?

Also, are there issues I should be aware of? I haven't had a single problem since I got it with several thousand rounds down range.

Gojubrian 10-04-2010 02:51 AM

I've read about issues with them, but I haven't tried them myself. If yours work,then great. I've read it was a fail launch for kimber so they changed.
I'm not sure when those were produced and when they stopped. I'm looking forward to finding out though.

Any plans for a 5" ? ;)

spittinfire 10-04-2010 02:52 AM

No 5" for me. Not for a carry piece anyway. I could see myself with a full size range only gun though.

Dillinger 10-04-2010 03:33 AM

A lot of interwebz hate and some long time 1911 builders claiming it was never needed in the first place. :rolleyes:

This is another one of "those" improvements. Those that are on the positive side praise it, those on the other side hate it with a purple passion.

The internal extractor is probably cheaper to produce in production guns. That is my guess as to why the new guns don't have it.

I have had models with both and I don't have a preference. Never had a problem with my gun with an external extractor, and the internal ones are still running strong as well.

*shrug*

spittinfire 10-04-2010 02:23 PM

Until I start having problems with it I don't think I'm going to worry about it then.

NGIB 10-04-2010 02:27 PM

It's like anything else that "changes" the 1911 platform - the purists will trash & bash. A good buddy of mine that owns a bunch of 1911s told me they are a tad more prone to problems but are reliable for the most part...

spittinfire 10-04-2010 02:40 PM

I read something about the extractor and spring need a little more attention and tend to start giving problems around 10k rounds. Kimber makes the replacement parts though.

This has become my daily carry and nightstand gun so it needs to be reliable which it has but if I need to keep my eye on something I will. I'm planning to make a few changes to it(bobtail to start) and don't want to deal with a stupid issue down the road.

NGIB 10-04-2010 02:44 PM

Spitty, just to save you from future heartache, I'll take it off your hands for a chrome plated Bryco, a KFC coupon, and a pack of stale Juicy Fruit...

spittinfire 10-04-2010 02:46 PM

If that Juicy fruit wasn't stale I'd be all over it!!

DrumJunkie 10-04-2010 05:22 PM

It has to be stale or it wont crunch right!:eek: