Kimber Owners Speak Up
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Kimber Owners Speak Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Kimber Owners Speak Up

I just bought a stainless Pro Carry II and I'm stoked about it. But, I really don't know much about Kimbers other than they're a decent brand and they're manufactured in the USA.

I'd like to know how your Kimbers have held up for you and any issues they may have had. How has customer support been? Talk to me fella's.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I bought a NIB pro carry for my first 1911. It had a couple of issues feeding hollow points before it was broken in and using factory mags.
The manual said to break it using 500rds of fmj ammo first and foremost, that's expensive, but fun.
I ended up buying Wilson mags and racking the slide a couple hundred times at home. After that it ran smooth the rest of the time I had it.
For some reason I became uncomfortable with the alloy frame. That, and that dang take down pin was annoying.
I sold it and bought this one,another Kimber, from J.D. I couldn't be happier!!

Kimber Owners Speak Up - 1911 Forum

Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yeah, the bull barrel and recoil spring set up is a bit weird to me.

That's a nice looking pistol. Has that one been Robar'd?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3495 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I've owned two Kimbers in my time. My first ever 1911 was a certain, black, Custom Target that is floating around with another member currently. I think his name is Brian.

That thing was carried everywhere and I shot it as much as I could. Dry fired the hell out of it all the time.

My second was a Raptor II that I sold after carrying it for over a year for about the same price I paid for it.

Both weapons were top notch in my opnion. The Raptor came through the "Custom Shop" so it was tuned, I didn't have anything extra to do with it. The trigger was great and it was accurate as all get out.

The Custom Target I had a trigger job done, but after that the only thing I had done was send it off to Robar during the .460 Build Off with Cane.

The C.T. was flawless the whole time I had it. Stock mags for most of the time, but I upgraded them after a couple of years.

I never personally had a problem that required Kimber's customer service for help. I did call and talk to them about running +P ammo and they recommended upgrading the springs in both weapons, which I did, wth stock springs from Kimber.

I never had a problem with rust, FTF, FTE or anything else. Both of them were rock solid. I can't honestly say one bad thing about my experiences with them other than I know that their low line models do use MIM parts which I don't personally believe in for my carry weapons.

YMMV.

For me, I don't believe in them for long term, high pressure use like weapons that will see a diet of +P ammo.

Other than that? The Kimbers I have had were top notch. Slides were tight, guns shot straight, and their custom shop Raptor had a baby butt sweet trigger.

I would recommend them to familly or FTF Members without hesitation, but I would caution either party against the low end, entry level guns.

Perhaps the owner of my former Custom will stop by and post his views of the weapon.

JD

Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3495 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I bought a NIB pro carry for my first 1911. It had a couple of issues feeding hollow points before it was broken in and using factory mags.
The manual said to break it using 500rds of fmj ammo first and foremost, that's expensive, but fun.
I ended up buying Wilson mags and racking the slide a couple hundred times at home. After that it ran smooth the rest of the time I had it.
For some reason I became uncomfortable with the alloy frame. That, and that dang take down pin was annoying.
I sold it and bought this one,another Kimber, from J.D. I couldn't be happier!!

Kimber Owners Speak Up - 1911 Forum
Now THAT is sexy as hell! Love the grips.

Is that a Tripp's 8 rounder I see locked and loaded?

JD

Old 02-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had a Pro Carry 2 for a little over a year and loved it. I actually just got rid of it last week but only so I could replace it with it's all stainless counterpart....Pro carry HD. It's scheduled to be here on Wednesday. I got the internal extractor with the HD which I wanted as well.

I personally don't have an issue with the bull barrel and after you take it apart a couple of times the little pin is easy. Mine was reliable as a rock from day one, no matter what the ammo was. I would suggest getting an extra recoil spring and keeping one on hand. When they wear out, you'll know it instantly and putting a fresh one in makes it like new again. NGIB turned me on to extra power springs and I would highly recommend one from Wolf.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Bought my SIS Custom (Series 1 Frame) slightly used at a decent discount about 15 months ago.
Got into shooting Action Pistol competitions last year (USPSA) and have put 10K rounds through the SIS in the last year. It has loosened up a little bit but still shoots great and is absolutely reliable.

As far as reliability, I had one feed ramp stall from slide lock within the first 100 rounds I fired through it, and some magazine related feed issues traced down to one 10rd mag I had bought but otherwise have had no malfunctions. Its been 100% reliable through 10K rounds using Tripp 8rd mags
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-28-2011, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Yeah, the bull barrel and recoil spring set up is a bit weird to me.

That's a nice looking pistol. Has that one been Robar'd?
Yes, J.D. Didn't know it at the time, but he had all that work done for me!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:51 AM   #9

My first, and until I can afford a revolver, only handgun, is my Kimber Warrior. I absolutely love it!

I spent a month or so before my 21st birthday visiting the local shop where I buy most of my firearms at least once a week, checking out what they had, what I liked, and what they recommended. I decided on the Kimber because they are American made, have a good reputation, and this particular gun just felt "right" in my hands.(I know a lot of people think that a rail on a 1911 is sacrilegious, but I absolutely love the way the extra weight balances in my hand. I have yet to even use the rail, though I may add a light for when it is on bedside duty.)

I followed the break-in directions (500 rds 230gr ball) and only had a few jams that I recall, all in my first 100 rds. Since the break in period I have run probably 2000rds of 230gr ball and 200 rds of various defense (hp) rounds through it, with zero failures. I have the factory 7rd magazine as well as 2 Wilson Combat 8 round mags.

I have not needed to use the Kimber customer service, so I cannot comment on that. I did read one horror story when I was researching about somebody's KimPro finish flaking off, as if it had been improperly applied. This may have been on this forum, I do not remember. When the firearm was sent to Kimber they said that it was holster wear, which may have been the case, but it was definitely more wear than should have occurred with the few times the owner had carried it. I believe they eventually refinished the gun for him, but still claimed that it was the customer's fault, not theirs. I still bought the Warrior, which is finished with KimPro, and I haven't experienced any problems.

Last edited by PTsouthpaw; 02-28-2011 at 02:55 AM.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Now THAT is sexy as hell! Love the grips.

Is that a Tripp's 8 rounder I see locked and loaded?

JD
It's a Wilson, but it works great. This is my bedside gun now. I am more accurate with it than any other centerfired pistol I have shot.

Someone could offer me twice what I paid for it and I wouldn't take it. My grand kids will be shooting this one!