Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber owners. I have an ammo question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Kimber owners. I have an ammo question.

Since CA has decided its new effort to fight crime is to limit good citizens I am forced to order bulk ammo for my Kimber Custom II without the convenience of trying out several brands before I order.

So my question is. If you own a Kimber what ammo (brand, grain and type please) works the best in your gun? I was looking at Speer Lawman, but looking at reviews for brands like Magtech, or Prvi Partizan are good as well.

Please help and thanks
Darin

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What model do you have? My Kimber Pro Carry eats anything I throw at it. If I had to pick a brand I would stay with Federal because I like their brass for reloading and I carry HSTs daily.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 AM   #3

thanks Spitty, it's a Custom II

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-28-2010, 06:11 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My pro carry 45 ran everything without a hitch, as long as it wasn't a chip McCormick magazine.

My stainless target II 10mm only hitched on light loads during the breakin.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Been a while since I had a Kimber but I put lots of different ammo thru them. The Speer Lawman is good stuff, Magtech is OK but seems a bit dirtier than most, and I've shot a bunch of Prvi Partisan. Now I'm referring of course to 230gr ball ammo. As far as defensive ammo, that's a much tougher selection and requires some testing with your gun...

Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kimber Ultra Carry II

My wifes gun had major problems with Remington in the green and yellow box. It would however to very well with Winchester in the white box. Both 230 gr. Both round ball. Hers was with a ramped barrel, mine is not and it takes anything I throw at it. I know nothing about the two choices you mention.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Use good mags, and after a break in they should eat anything.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #8

Once again your guys' advice helps a ton. Thanks, I think I'll order the Speer FMJ since its the cheapest with the best reviews and is NGIB approved.

As far as the mags are concerned, I haven't bought any because I'm really torn between two brands...Trips and the WC 47d's. It seems that some guns like Trip and an equal amount like Wilson.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Darin, I have a Custom II as well and I will say that mine digested every round of Speer ammo that I put through it, but it did not group extremely well. As far as factory loaded stuff, my pistol seemed to have an affinity for good ol Blazer, the brass and aluminum cased stuff. I have since gone to handloading for it, but in a pinch, Blazer works great, and is cheap cheap.

I use a Wilson Combat magazine in it tooo, and it's the only one I use. The KimPro Tac Mag is ok, but my Wilson is my go to.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #10

Thanks Squirrel that is great info. I'll look at the Blazer brass. Whatever I get it needs to be brass cased so I can reload whenever I get off my butt and start that new venture.

Thomas Jefferson