Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   kimber or no? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-no-51485/)

Broke124 11-09-2011 04:48 PM

kimber or no?

Is a kimber really worth the money? They seem a little over priced to me. Anyone have anything to offer?

jismail 11-09-2011 05:03 PM

I can't compare value amongst the brands as I only have one 1911 and it is a Kimber so the only thing I can offer is my opinion and that is that my Kimber Custom is a superb 1911 and, at least to me, is worth the cost since you get many match grade parts standard with a Kimber, and it is very accurate.

Overkill0084 11-09-2011 05:11 PM

Only you know whether it's worth it to you. My biggest gripe w/ Kimber is their chincy warranty. The people I know who own kimbers are happy with them, however.

Just my opinion, nothing more (opinions vary-Flamesuit on):
I think Springfield Armory is a better value. They also have something for everyone, cheap to custom shop. I also think when the price gets north of $1000, Dan Wesson builds a better (off the rack/non-custom) gun than Kimber.
Also, if they have one you like, don't forget Colt.

Firearms4ever 11-09-2011 05:14 PM

Overkill pretty much nailed it. I don't like the fact that you only get a 1 year warranty whereas most companies have a lifetime warranty, and their prices I think are too high for the quality of their firearms. I prefer Colt and Springfield when it comes to a 1911.

Olympus 11-09-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broke124 (Post 623304)
Is a kimber really worth the money? They seem a little over priced to me. Anyone have anything to offer?

To me, it just depends on which model you are looking at. Kimber has a ton of different models, with different options. If you're wanting a .38 Super or a 10mm, then Kimber will have a bigger selection of models to choose from compared with other manufacturers. They also have a lot of higher end models with nice, classic bluing and target sights (which I'm partial to) that a lot of other manufacturers are moving away from. Like I said, I think it just depends on what model you're looking at. If you want a typical .45 with combat sights, then the market gets pretty competitive and there are a lot of other options to consider. But if you're wanting something specialized, there's a better chance that Kimber will have it than some of the other manufacturers.

Broke124 11-09-2011 10:35 PM

It's a kimber crimson ultra carry I believe. Guy wants to trade it to me.

Broke124 11-09-2011 10:37 PM

Sorry its a custom crimson carry II

Jeepergeo 11-09-2011 10:58 PM

They are a bit more expensive, but IMO, they are worth the money for the extra you get. That said, before laying down the money for one, you should really think about whether you really need/want the extras that Kimber offers.

Some of their standard line 911s have some custom shop type attention to fit and finish in a package that is about the same cost as a less expensive 911 that needs to go to the smith for some enhancements after purchase.

HOSSFLY 11-09-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 623319)
Overkill pretty much nailed it. I don't like the fact that you only get a 1 year warranty whereas most companies have a lifetime warranty, and their prices I think are too high for the quality of their firearms. I prefer Colt and Springfield when it comes to a 1911.

Not much i can add - Just a ditto :cool:

EMTchad 11-10-2011 12:55 AM

Springfield armory and their customer service.... Enough said.