Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber magazines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-magazines-17671/)

lonyaeger 09-03-2009 09:39 PM

Kimber magazines

Since Kimber only provides one magazine with their handguns, I find myself in need of a few more for my Tactical Custom II and for my Grand Raptor II. Anyone know anything about Kimber's reputation for magazines? Should I buy from them or go with Wilson Combat....or even someone else?

Hot Sauce NARC 09-03-2009 10:13 PM

My experience wilson combat has been excellent so far, although they are a bit expensive.

hawkman1 09-04-2009 06:16 AM

I own the tactical pro 2 from Kimber and also have noticed the same problem. In talking with another 1911 shooter of Kimbers, he recommended the Wilson Combat magazines also. But, since they are close to $50 a mag, I did not purchase with the limited amount of green ($) that I have. I purchased the Kimber 8 round magazines that are stainless for smoother operations. I have put about 100 rounds through each of them and have noticed no major issues. They have fed the rounds nicely in my gun, a little tight when started brand new but that was to be expected. I am sure that another will answer with more experience with stock Kimber mags though to assist in your decision.

NGIB 09-04-2009 09:39 AM

I tend to shy away from OEM mags as they're made by the lowest bidder and quality is a hit or miss proposition. For carry mags I use Wilson 47d's and have been very satisfied. For range mags I find Chip McCormick's very reliable and a good value.

In my experience the vast majority of 1911 feed issues are mag related so you should never scrimp in this area. I have collected about 2 dozen 1911 mags that I trust and these are the only ones I use. When I pick up a new or used 1911, I throw the factory mags in a parts box and use my trusted stash...

truevil1313 09-04-2009 01:16 PM

Go with the Wilsons,,,,you will not be disapointed.

mr1911 09-11-2009 04:32 AM

One friend of mine got a Chip McCormic mag with his target model, while the other got a G.I. style with his custom.

I would say go with a stainless CMC or Wilson, can't go wrong with either, I've been pleased with both.

lonyaeger 09-11-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr1911 (Post 158078)
One friend of mine got a Chip McCormic mag with his target model, while the other got a G.I. style with his custom.

I would say go with a stainless CMC or Wilson, can't go wrong with either, I've been pleased with both.

Thanks alot. I'm not going to pay for the Wilsons. I haven't had any problems with the mags that came with any of my three Kimbers, but I'll go with one of your recommendations.

slowryde45 09-14-2009 12:51 AM

+ 1 to Wilson mags, I use the #47D 8rd mags in my Kimbers, except in my carry piece. I use the shorter ones there ;)

Also have had good luck with Chip McCormick Power Mags

Slo