Kimber haters attn please! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber haters attn please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever
I do not hate Kimber I just do not like two things about them. One being that they only provide a one year warranty on their firearms and two I find their prices are a little high.
Fair enough....

Old 01-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by truevil1313
I have two Kimbers and have never been more pleased.

My Tactical Pro II is 6 years old with 3,000+ rounds through it. Never had one failure of any kind.

My CDP Ultra II is only two months old with 400 rounds through it, and it has never had a failure either. This has become my every day carry gun.

I am currently working on building a 1911 and I am using a complete slide assembly that is Kimber.

From what I have read on here, most complaints about Kimber is either the CS sucks, or people gripe about only getting a one year warrenty.

I have never needed to contact CS so I cannot comment on that, and after 6 years my first Kimber has never needed any work. As far as their firearms go my first hand experiance has been great.
My experience is similar...never contacted CS (although I came close). Once I got the early misfeeds and occasional stovepipe figured out, it has been smooth sailing. Glad to hear you carry it w/out problems. Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I feel most of the problems with the Kimber comes from not being broke in. Kimber is real tight new in the box. The manual said to fire about 250 to 500 rounds through it. My Kimber Stainless Gold Match is a very accurate gun. I love it.

Now I do not hate Glocks but love to mess with the Glock Frat Boys. I have shot them and do think there fun to shoot. I challenged my buddy to a split the playing card contest. My Kimber and his Glock 45acp. I split mine first with one shot. He went through 2 mags and never hit the card. I got a little cocky and let try it with the Glock. First shot split the card. He was fuming. LOL

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I want to say the custom II is 5 years old...I'd have to look to be sure. The crimson pro carry is one year newer. I know the C II I partially paid for with the "Bush stimulus check" I found in my mailbox one day...whenever that was. And I'll be honest, when I got the first one, I had every malfunction one can have. And about the next person I talked to that told me I was probably "limp wristing" it was gonna get popped in the eye! I finally found a Colt guy of all people, that told me they needed about 250 rds of heavier grain ammo to get broken in....I haven't had a failure since. (lengthy answer to your simple question. Sorry).

I asked because you were asking what is it that people were seeing as issues with Kimber.

In the 100's of hours spent with an open mind in doing my due diligence on 1911's since I knew nothing about the gun other then I thought they were beautiful guns and of course Kimber's are undeniably purty which attracted me to them first, and believe me, I started out wanting to love Kimber.

For the prices they ask for the gun first off, I expect top quality customer service to go with the price. I've understand how internet whining can work, but when you start to see a trend of Kimber's customer service hiding behind a break-in period so the customer has to be incorrect, when you read countless posts of silly little issues which should of been caught in the production process for a top priced gun, when you read about something as simple as the finish flaking off after a month, that sends up a red flag, especially when you read on multiple sites, multiple posts, about Kimber not immediately jumping to correct the problem even after the gun was supposedly fixed.

The trend that I see is it's recent production guns, like in the last 2-3 years. I 100% believe that they are riding on past reputation and scrimping in other areas to boost corporate profits.

You'll still get the "I've run though 2000 perfect rounds of multiple ball ammo brands and it's been a orgasmic experience" type of post, from a Kimber owner. That's great, but way too often you get a post of "I'm getting FTE's and FTF's from multiple ammo brands, and Kimber is telling me I need to get to 500 rounds and use their recommended ammo before sending it in". That is a crock of fecal matter, and unacceptable for a gun manufacturer who charges the prices that Kimber charges and still wants to be viewed as a top gun manufacturer.

IMO and I own 3 of them, the same is starting to happen at Sig. Check who now runs Sig and where he came from and what his name is.

I bought a generator with that Bush stimulus money, I'm leaning to it being about 6 years a go.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpuncher

I asked because you were asking what is it that people were seeing as issues with Kimber.

In the 100's of hours spent with an open mind in doing my due diligence on 1911's since I knew nothing about the gun other then I thought they were beautiful guns and of course Kimber's are undeniably purty which attracted me to them first, and believe me, I started out wanting to love Kimber.

For the prices they ask for the gun first off, I expect top quality customer service to go with the price. I've understand how internet whining can work, but when you start to see a trend of Kimber's customer service hiding behind a break-in period so the customer has to be incorrect, when you read countless posts of silly little issues which should of been caught in the production process for a top priced gun, when you read about something as simple as the finish flaking off after a month, that sends up a red flag, especially when you read on multiple sites, multiple posts, about Kimber not immediately jumping to correct the problem even after the gun was supposedly fixed.

The trend that I see is it's recent production guns, like in the last 2-3 years. I 100% believe that they are riding on past reputation and scrimping in other areas to boost corporate profits.

You'll still get the "I've run though 2000 perfect rounds of multiple ball ammo brands and it's been a orgasmic experience" type of post, from a Kimber owner. That's great, but way too often you get a post of "I'm getting FTE's and FTF's from multiple ammo brands, and Kimber is telling me I need to get to 500 rounds and use their recommended ammo before sending it in". That is a crock of fecal matter, and unacceptable for a gun manufacturer who charges the prices that Kimber charges and still wants to be viewed as a top gun manufacturer.

IMO and I own 3 of them, the same is starting to happen at Sig. Check who now runs Sig and where he came from and what his name is.

I bought a generator with that Bush stimulus money, I'm leaning to it being about 6 years a go.
Thanks for your honesty. Do you still have problems with any of yours? Like I said, I had all the FTF, FTE, etc at first. Matter of fact the rear Novak kept coming loose as well, but since I had it installed aftermarket, that speaks more to the gunsmith's shoddiness than the gun.

I guess the "break in" period is something that is a personal choice as to whether or not a person believes it should be acceptable when judging a firearm at a certain price point. For me, it's not that big of an issue. I understand your point though, and completely understand why you would feel it's nonsense...because as you stated, they damned sure don't give these things away.

And I think you're right about the bush money time frame, now that I think about it.

Thanks again for your insight...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Thanks for your honesty. Do you still have problems with any of yours? Like I said, I had all the FTF, FTE, etc at first. Matter of fact the rear Novak kept coming loose as well, but since I had it installed aftermarket, that speaks more to the gunsmith's shoddiness than the gun.

I guess the "break in" period is something that is a personal choice as to whether or not a person believes it should be acceptable when judging a firearm at a certain price point. For me, it's not that big of an issue. I understand your point though, and completely understand why you would feel it's nonsense...because as you stated, they damned sure don't give these things away.

And I think you're right about the bush money time frame, now that I think about it.

Thanks again for your insight...
I steered away from Kimber, period.....I loved the look, but could not bring myself to buy a gun with a one year warranty and a c.s. dept that was unresponsive and hiding behind excuses in a lot of cases.

Warranty and customer service was very important to me so I went with a Springfield Loaded. The gun has been honestly great up to this point, while not quite as pretty as a Kimber product.

I do have a bit of animosity towards the Kimber brand or any company that charges a top price and doesn't deliver, let it be a gun or a refrigerator. We work too hard for our money to be sluffed off as uninformed consumers when a product doesn't deliver.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpuncher

I steered away from Kimber, period.....I loved the look, but could not bring myself to buy a gun with a one year warranty and a c.s. dept that was unresponsive and hiding behind excuses in a lot of cases.

Warranty and customer service was very important to me so I went with a Springfield Loaded. The gun has been honestly great up to this point, while not quite as pretty as a Kimber product.

I do have a bit of animosity towards the Kimber brand or any company that charges a top price and doesn't deliver, let it be a gun or a refrigerator. We work too hard for our money to be sluffed off as uninformed consumers when a product doesn't deliver.
I hear ya...nuthin' wrong with that...

Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

My brother owns a tle/rl ii commander size. I've shot personally over 100 rounds through it and he's shot over 1000. He did have tons of problems till about the 500 rd mark and still occasionally will have a FTF. Lots of the problems are genuinely with mags but even with the high end Wilson combat or the chip McCormick power mags, he'll still get a couple of hiccups now and then. Other than that, the gun is solid and extremely accurate. I'm not a fan of the plastic mainspring housing. Kimbers are pricy and when you pay that much money for a 1911, you should get better. If i wanted plastic in a gun, ill buy another Glock. That takes away from the glamour of a 1911-an all metal gun. Not that i have heard any evidence to support that having plastic instead of metal makes it function better/worse, that's just my opinion. I think kimber offers a huge selection and a lot of gorgeous firearms, but until they make the plastic disappear, they will not ever get a dime for me. Another member posted something about Sig, I love my Sig Stx 1911. Just bought it in September, 1000 rnds....not one single problem other than using a lower gn round in a factory mag-didnt feed one round but feed the rest. That's it. Very tight and extremely accurate. Sorry for the lengthy post....

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007
I feel most of the problems with the Kimber comes from not being broke in. Kimber is real tight new in the box. The manual said to fire about 250 to 500 rounds through it. My Kimber Stainless Gold Match is a very accurate gun. I love it.

Now I do not hate Glocks but love to mess with the Glock Frat Boys. I have shot them and do think there fun to shoot. I challenged my buddy to a split the playing card contest. My Kimber and his Glock 45acp. I split mine first with one shot. He went through 2 mags and never hit the card. I got a little cocky and let try it with the Glock. First shot split the card. He was fuming. LOL
You know the old saying..."it ain't the bow, it's the Indian"...here in Ok anyway

Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
My brother owns a tle/rl ii commander size. I've shot personally over 100 rounds through it and he's shot over 1000. He did have tons of problems till about the 500 rd mark and still occasionally will have a FTF. Lots of the problems are genuinely with mags but even with the high end Wilson combat or the chip McCormick power mags, he'll still get a couple of hiccups now and then. Other than that, the gun is solid and extremely accurate. I'm not a fan of the plastic mainspring housing. Kimbers are pricy and when you pay that much money for a 1911, you should get better. If i wanted plastic in a gun, ill buy another Glock. That takes away from the glamour of a 1911-an all metal gun. Not that i have heard any evidence to support that having plastic instead of metal makes it function better/worse, that's just my opinion. I think kimber offers a huge selection and a lot of gorgeous firearms, but until they make the plastic disappear, they will not ever get a dime for me. Another member posted something about Sig, I love my Sig Stx 1911. Just bought it in September, 1000 rnds....not one single problem other than using a lower gn round in a factory mag-didnt feed one round but feed the rest. That's it. Very tight and extremely accurate. Sorry for the lengthy post....
Yeah...early on, it didn't matter the mag in mine either. They all work flawlessly now though. As far as the lengthy post, I appreciate the time and thought that went into it...it's why I asked the question.

Thanks, man