You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Kimber disappoints me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
So we all know i got my Kimber home last week. I thoroghly cleaned the weapon, oiled it and wiped it down with an oiled patch before putting it away. I was going by my parents house the next day so I took it along to show to my dad. So of course when I get there we handle the weapon a little bit but again, I make sure to wipe it down before putting it in the case. It spent the rest of the day in my truck as I was working at the 200 acre, 4 man hunting club I'm a part of, plowing and planting food plots and generally dressing it up. I got home very late and dicided I would oil the gun again in the morning before putting it away. Next morning I opened the case and what did I see? My Kimber was covered in surface rust!!! Slide and barrel. I WAS PISSED!!!
What gives?? I showed my wife...She says, didn't you buy that to carry? Didn't you get it for function? Isn't that the most expensive gun you have? Yes is the answer to all of those questions.
I haven't even fired the weapon and I'm thinking about selling it. I'm not going to carry a weapon I have to constantly battle rust. Whats going to happen when it's against my skin and I start to sweat a little?
Could I get it coated? Sure but why should I spend more money on a nearly new weapon? An expensive weapon at that. I'm done ranting now.
Sorry to hear about this. I'm a Colt man through and through, but I always regarded Kimber as a top-notch firearm.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I got rid of mine. Kimber puts out a substandard product. I would recommend that you try to get your money back for the Kimber if you can. Get a 1911 from a different brand.

This SIG came into unprotected contact with an ill-minded Kimber, and the result was very unfortunate. It's like the STD of the firearm world.......

Kimber disappoints me - 1911 Forum

Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #13

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

I don't know what you guys are doing but mine has had one spot of rust because my dad put it away and didn't clean it or oil it for over a year.

Maybe they changed coatings and the new one is not as good. Have you guys called kimber and see what they say about it?

Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
I got rid of mine. Kimber puts out a substandard product. I would recommend that you try to get your money back for the Kimber if you can. Get a 1911 from a different brand.

This SIG came into unprotected contact with an ill-minded Kimber, and the result was very unfortunate. It's like the STD of the firearm world.......

Kimber disappoints me - 1911 Forum
LMAO....Miller, that there is funny, I don't care who ya are. I like Colts!
snoopy2.gif  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I got no problems here with my Kimber. I carry it most of the time and have shot it in the rain. No signs of rust and no problems with malfunctions.

That Sig looks like it was in a fire.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #16

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Maybe my first 1911 should be a cbob or smith?
Or maybe a Kimber disappoints me - 1911 Forum

I carry in sub-tropical conditions. (14 years)

I have NEVER had rust on my Colts! NEVER!

I will not knock the Dan Wesson but the S&W isn't a 1911 pattern pistol. It has an external extractor.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ahhhh, the external extractor hold up. I don't care about the external extractor. If it functions good and is reliable, who cares?

I was at the Springdale,AR gunshow today and saw alot of nice 1911's for sale. I thought of you every time I saw a colt. i did see some nice colts too including several 1911a1's. The prices weren't bad either, but I'm still saving.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Or maybe a Kimber disappoints me - 1911 Forum

I carry in sub-tropical conditions. (14 years)

I have NEVER had rust on my Colts! NEVER!

I will not knock the Dan Wesson but the S&W isn't a 1911 pattern pistol. It has an external extractor.
My Kimber has an external exctractor.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3502 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have composed an e-mail I going to send to Kimber to see if they would like to send someone by the site here to talk about these issues and make their position publicly known.

It might fall on deaf ears, but at least I am going to offer them a platform to talk and defend themselves.

JD

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good idea JD!