Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber disappoints me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Kimber disappoints me

So we all know i got my Kimber home last week. I thoroghly cleaned the weapon, oiled it and wiped it down with an oiled patch before putting it away. I was going by my parents house the next day so I took it along to show to my dad. So of course when I get there we handle the weapon a little bit but again, I make sure to wipe it down before putting it in the case. It spent the rest of the day in my truck as I was working at the 200 acre, 4 man hunting club I'm a part of, plowing and planting food plots and generally dressing it up. I got home very late and dicided I would oil the gun again in the morning before putting it away. Next morning I opened the case and what did I see? My Kimber was covered in surface rust!!! Slide and barrel. I WAS PISSED!!!
What gives?? I showed my wife...She says, didn't you buy that to carry? Didn't you get it for function? Isn't that the most expensive gun you have? Yes is the answer to all of those questions.
I haven't even fired the weapon and I'm thinking about selling it. I'm not going to carry a weapon I have to constantly battle rust. Whats going to happen when it's against my skin and I start to sweat a little?
Could I get it coated? Sure but why should I spend more money on a nearly new weapon? An expensive weapon at that. I'm done ranting now.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Same thing happened to me. After I cleaned all of the rust off, and gave the barrel a good polishing with a non-abrasive polishing compound, I haven't seen any further rust anywhere.

My Kimber is not a carry piece, though. To me, it's more of an investment piece, so I tend to "baby" it slightly more. I'll be getting a different 1911 for carry in the future sometime.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I ended up soaking the slide, barrel, guide rod and spring in oil, putting them in individual bags and leaving them there so they don't rust. I could deal with the barrel issue, but the entire slide? That is unacceptable in my book. I bet I could go swimming with my XD and it wouldn't rust.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have had my Kimber for 4 years now, and it has been carried almost daily for that time. I have never seen even a spot of rust on it. I dont know what to tell you, maybe call Kimber and see what they say.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Same here, I have been carrying my Kimber for about 2 months almost everyday. I have not oiled it since I have shot it and I have not had any problem with rust. I have been checking the parts to look out for rust since problems have been posted but none seen.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Blue or stainless? Mine is blue.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #7

I have a blued Pro Carry II and a stainless II. Neither shows signs of rust.

However, I plan to send my Pro Carry II to a gunsmith for some other mods (bobtail, frontstrap, barrel work, slide work) and it'll have to be recoated. I'm having them do it and taking the opportunity to make it a bit more unique, especially since my wife gave it to me (and it's my first pistol).

There are coatings out there that are FAR better than the dark coatings Kimber uses, IMO. So, I'll be getting mods on my Pro Carry AND getting better coatings on it too.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #8

My brother got a stainless Kimber a few years back. Turns out the slide wasn't very "Stainless". He called up Kimber and they asked to have it sent back, he marked it with a scribe inside the slide to see if they were just going to send him back a new one and sure enough, that's what they did. Great service though, only took about 3 weeks.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I wonder if kimber puts something unique on their pistols or is just the materials they are made of?

Never had any rust on any pistols I own. Ruger's, beretta's, taurus's, smith and wesson's, xd's, and a browning. No rust,ever. I shot all of them regularly and cleaned them after the range trip. Most stay loaded at home, some with round in the pipe.

I did have rust on my mossberg 500 after neglecting it for a few months. Came right off though.

Maybe my first 1911 should be a cbob or smith?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I have the Kimber Tactical Pro II, so the slide is blued or coated. After 4 years of daily carry, it is showing some holster wear, but it has never had even a spec of rust on it. I do wipe it down in Rem oil, whenever it seems to be in need.

101_1406safe.jpg  

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.