Kimber Custom II w/Kimpro Tac Magazine not loading - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber Custom II w/Kimpro Tac Magazine not loading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Wilson will be the most expensive mag you buy, they work fine every time. I have 2 Tripp mags on order. I sold all of my KimPro mags and never want one again. So I will see how good the Tripp mags are.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
So, Cane, why are these mags better than say a McCormic or Pachmayr?

I shoot my 1911 often with some pretty old Shooting Stars and never have a bit of trouble. I recently had several of the Pachmayers fall into my lap, cheaply, and they also work like a champ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman957 View Post
Thanks Cane. I figured it was the mag but 1911 is new to me and I wanted an experienced opinion. I will check out the Tripp. How about the Wilson Combat? It seems I see a lot of people recommending them. Any opinion on those?

From L to R; Tripp Cobra, Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Find the weld on the Tripp.

From L to R; Wilson 47DOXB, Wilson ETM 500B, Tripp Cobra

Notice the fluid stampings of the Tripp mag on the left and right. The .45 case head sits square against the back wall of the Tripp mag, the Wilson is rounded and forces the round forward when it presents for stripping. AND, the Tripp mag feed lips are CNC finished.

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

As a retired engineer, this is how my mind works while looking at new products. When a company makes guns and mags that go into them, the mag becomes an area where they can cut production costs. When the company only makes mags, their entire R&D budget is used on mags. Think about that!

If your 1911 mags have poly followers be sure to check them each time you load. Should this area wear out, your slide will not lock open when empty!

You asked and I answered with the reasons why I only use Tripp Gen II Cobras for carry!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersportgiant View Post
I've never used Tripp mags, they look great though. I have several nighthawk and Wilson combat mags and they are great. I prefer Wilson's over Chip McCormick or most factory mags.

Cane, is there a FTF discount or code on Tripp mags ?
Nope, but there should be!

Call Aaron @ Tripp (877.837.9445) and tell him canebrake thinks FTF members should get a discount.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #14

Quote:
I spoke with someone at the gun shop and he said it could be a mag failure, however, he also said it is too early to say. He said you must run 500 rounds through the Kimber before evaluating. He said Kimber is built to such high tolerance that it will take that many firings to get the gun broken in. If it is still failing to feed after that take a closer look.

So from that quote, Kimber requires their customers to finish the build of it's production 1911's?

This is from Mark Roberts several years ago, while he was in charge of Colt handgun manufacturing; "...if a gun [Colt] does not run, out of the box, it's broken - send it back". This was in response to a question of why Colt did not fit up their slides and frames ultra tight like Kimber, etc. He advised that there is a "correct" tolerance for an accurate, reliable 1911 - and that tighter is not better, and gives no worthwhile advantages.

He contended that the miniscule gains in accuracy vs. the headaches and unreliability of a tight 1911 made super tight a bad practice for all but target range only guns that are never used for defense. The pistols sold to the military were purposely built with certain clearances incorporated into the mechanism to ensure reliability under battlefield conditions. Reducing these clearances may make the pistol shoot more accurately, but it will also detract from its serviceability as a combat arm.

"If it needs break in - it's fitted wrong by people who don't understand the design."

- orangello

Old 10-17-2012, 12:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
Wilsons are ok..still ftf sometimes. I listened to cane and bought 6 tripps and have not looked back.

- orangello

Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
X-5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I spoke with someone at the gun shop and he said it could be a mag failure, however, he also said it is too early to say. He said you must run 500 rounds through the Kimber before evaluating. He said Kimber is built to such high tolerance that it will take that many firings to get the gun broken in. If it is still failing to feed after that take a closer look.

BS. How come then my three Dan Wesson 1911s, which are built to a much higher tolerance than any Kimber, run 100% right out of the box?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I appreciate all of the input. I was a novice when I started this thread. I am still a novice but a much better educated one. I am definitely going for the Tripps and will check back after I check them out.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, taking the advice of my retired army buddy, he's army and retired not me, I cleaned the mags with Tetra action cleaner and lubed them with Tetra lubricant. Voila!. Not a single failure at the range. Shot full 8 rounds from each of 2 mags 10 reloads, 160 rounds total without a hiccup. Maybe I can chalk this one up to operator error. Or worse, operator ignorance.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Well, taking the advice of my retired army buddy, he's army and retired not me, I cleaned the mags with Tetra action cleaner and lubed them with Tetra lubricant. Voila!. Not a single failure at the range. Shot full 8 rounds from each of 2 mags 10 reloads, 160 rounds total without a hiccup. Maybe I can chalk this one up to operator error. Or worse, operator ignorance.
It's only ignorance if you don't act on the new-found information.

Either way, it was the mag causing your feed issue.

I have one question; Your NEW mags needed cleaning?

From your OP, "Had my New Custom II out on the range for the first time today."

Don't tell Kimber you cleaned your new mags, they'll void your warranty.

- orangello

Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Some mags do work well, some mags are not worth the metal they are made from.

The magazine is the weakest link in any semi-auto pistol. IF they are not working, your pistol will not work.

Cane's suggestion of Tripp is based on his (and others) research. Sometimes, I believe the research completed by an engineer.

Buy Tripp's. I have never seen a problem addressed here about Tripp magazines, only other brands.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)