Kimber Custom
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber Custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber Custom

I found a Kimber at a local gun shop today for 550.

It's used of course...and for some reason the person heavily spray painted the slide in Green Pain...so much so Kimber hardly shows on it...and the same with the custom.

I'm going to look it over again Monday....I'm hoping it's cheap because of the crappy paint job on it. If that is the case I'll buy it for a steal and get it refinished. Simple as pie.

What do you guys think? Is it possible the Kimber is a rusted hunk of metal under all that paint of the slide? The handle is good..so I'm not sure. Going to take some pics of it I hope later....if It's nice I might convince my brother to buy it for the family.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

the person probly just wanted to "upgrade" the slide. i would probly buy it, a kimber for 550 buck aint bad. you should check out their website and see how much slides would cost incase iit is a bad slide

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #3

I don't know...I do like a full size 1911...specially kimber....BUT It's 550 cheap for a kimber...but I was thinking about us having a CZ-82 and the ammo is cheap and the gun is 200 bucks.

Eh...and then I'm probably going into the navy...and they'll issue me that ****ty M9....bah.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
I don't know...I do like a full size 1911...specially kimber....BUT It's 550 cheap for a kimber...but I was thinking about us having a CZ-82 and the ammo is cheap and the gun is 200 bucks.

Eh...and then I'm probably going into the navy...and they'll issue me that ****ty M9....bah.
There is nothing wrong with the M9, just make sure you have factory Beretta mags. Most, if not all, of the issues the military was having with the Beretta was traced back to inferior low-bid aftermarket magazines.

Now if you're prejudice against #9MickeyMouse then I can't really help you there.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I would wonder what other "mods" the prior owner did to the Kimber other than painting the slide.

If you can confirm that the internals and everything are good to go, then go for it.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #6

In my opinion the M9 while being an ok 9mm it is horrible considering all the much much better 9 mms out there.

Hell if they let me buy my own handgun I'd get a CZ-SPO1 Shadow. 19+1 in the best platform for a 9mm handgun. The CZ IMO is the 1911 of 9mm.

Anyway speaking of CZ. I decided against it. I'm just going to get a CZ 82 to plink with...and also that Kimber I wouldn't be able to conceal anyway. I was a CCW weapon that I actually like to shoot.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The M9 is an excellent pistol, as long as it is properly maintained and the magazines aren't cheap.

That's the key. The M9 style pistol needs to be maintained well in order to fire well. If you are issued an M9 make sure you keep it well maintained. Inspect it well, and be sure to turn it in to maintainence if you find any problems (a big one is the recoil spring - most armorers don't replace those like they should).

Tip: If you can't get factory mags for an issued M9, be sure to clean the mags you have real well, and only load 10-11 rounds. It's better to have 10 -11 rounds go bang than having 15 rounds with jamming issues.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You should just be able to toss the slide into a cup of lacquer thinner and eat the paint off that way. The thinner shouldn't bother the Parkerized finish. The thinner will burn off all of the oil though, so be sure to oil her back up as soon as the thinner dries.

I buy it at the drop of a hat as long as everything is still nice and tight.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #9

It was trash and someone already bought it...well not yet...the store is going to fix it....new barrell ext....fit the frame or whatever...so no beans on my part.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

How much do they want for it after the rebuild?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.