Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber Barrel rust. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-barrel-rust-33219/)

User Name 10-18-2010 11:09 PM

Kimber Barrel rust.

Hey all. I got a Kimber pro crimson carry II a while back and carrie it for a while with an inside the waistband holster. I guess from moisture the barrel started rusting to the point where I had to take steel wool to it. Is there anything that I can treat the barrel with so that it will not rust? I ask this because I would like to carry it, but I dont want to have to clean it everytime I carry it. Or is this normal and Im just spoiled from carrying my Glock?

Shihan 10-18-2010 11:16 PM

Are you just trying to stir the pot?:eek:

Originally posted by User Name back in August

Or is this a different Kimber?:rolleyes::D

Rusty Kimber Re-Revisit

Squirrel_Slayer 10-18-2010 11:17 PM

I have had a Kimber Custom II for well over a year now, and I have heard quite a few complaints about rusty barrels. The only thing that I treat my barel with is a good cleaning every time it comes with me to the range, and before the gun goes back together, I wipe the barrel, slide, and frame down with a silicon cloth. The silicon repells moisture and gives the finish on the frame and slide a nice even black luster.

User Name 10-18-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 370310)
Are you just trying to stir the pot?:eek:

Originally posted by User Name back in August

Or is this a different Kimber?:rolleyes::D

Rusty Kimber Re-Revisit

Yes it is the same Kimber. This time I am looking for something I can coat the barrel with to avoid the rust. Thanks for your very helpful response :rolleyes:

User Name 10-18-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer (Post 370311)
I have had a Kimber Custom II for well over a year now, and I have heard quite a few complaints about rusty barrels. The only thing that I treat my barel with is a good cleaning every time it comes with me to the range, and before the gun goes back together, I wipe the barrel, slide, and frame down with a silicon cloth. The silicon repells moisture and gives the finish on the frame and slide a nice even black luster.

Thank you, I might try a silicon cloth, but is there some special coating you can buy and put on it that will prevent it from rusting?

Shihan 10-18-2010 11:31 PM

Might try using Fluid Film. A lot of members are using it and testing it out, so far it is working wonderful.

Maybe that is more helpful. :cool:

User Name 10-18-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 370322)
Might try using Fluid Film. A lot of members are using it and testing it out, so far it is working wonderful.

Maybe that is more helpful. :cool:

Yes actually it was, thank you.

canebrake 10-18-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Name (Post 370321)
Thank you, I might try a silicon cloth, but is there some special coating you can buy and put on it that will prevent it from rusting?

It's called elbow grease.

spittinfire 10-19-2010 11:41 AM

Shihan beat me to it but I was going to recommend fluid film. It's a great product.