Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-85992/)

FlBob518 03-07-2013 04:02 PM

Kimber

Hi All,

I just bought a Kimber Ultra carry II with a 3" barrel. It says I have to shoot 500 shots to break it in. Given the current supply of ammo and and it's cost, what can I expect from about 100 breakin shots. If you have a Kimber, do they really FTE under 500 breakin???

danf_fl 03-07-2013 04:49 PM

It's a Kimber, follow the user's manual.
(Also check when the recoil spring needs to be changed.)

cmahan 03-07-2013 05:03 PM

I had the kimber ultra cdp II, put atleast 2,000 rounds thru it and still had minor problems with it jamming and failure to feed, tried different mags and ammo, needless to say I sold it but still got my kimber tactical full size, love it

Holmes375 03-07-2013 06:29 PM

I've packed an Ultra Carry II since 2001 and its been an incredibly reliable forearm. The pistol is fired regularly and carries the nickname of "Mikey" given its proclivity to eat anything.

You can achieve much by working with your pistol every night while watching the tube. Dry fire is good practice and cycling the action by hand will help get the parts friendly with one another. Use good quality snap caps to protect the pistol when cycling. I like the A-Zoom brand.

My UC II is showing its age now and undergoing a makeover. New springs, a new smooth face trigger, a light softening, and a nice new Duracoat application.

Mikey will be ready for the next dozen years or so :)

Dennis845 03-07-2013 08:28 PM

I had some FTF and FTE issues with my Ultra CDP II myself. As far as the break in process, I thought I'd use it during a couple of IDPA matches. Needless to say it costed me a few seconds clearing the problems.

Like magic, at about 250 rounds, never had a problem since?

However, I'm shooting my Glock 19 now and until it doesn't take a bank loan to purchase a couple boxes of .45's.

Max-Q 03-07-2013 09:36 PM

I've had three Kimbers. My first was a Pro TLE/RL with the external extractor. That one had some FTF in the first 500 rounds. After that it was flawless.

I have a Ultra CDP II and a Tactical Entry II and neither has ever had a single malfunction. I carry the CDP everyday and I carry the Tactical Entry as a backup in my patrol car while working.

Engine5truck 03-07-2013 09:51 PM

I have a kimber custom covert and didnt have one issue threw my 500

GeneralPatton 03-09-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max-Q (Post 1167699)
I've had three Kimbers. My first was a Pro TLE/RL with the external extractor. That one had some FTF in the first 500 rounds. After that it was flawless.

I have a Ultra CDP II and a Tactical Entry II and neither has ever had a single malfunction. I carry the CDP everyday and I carry the Tactical Entry as a backup in my patrol car while working.

I also had a stainless full size TLE/RL and had issues with it. It was also the external extractor version

As for break in rounds, it took well over 500 to get the FTF and FTE ratio down to about 4%. I sold it as I expected more from a $1000+ handgun