Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber 45ACP Ammo Recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber 45ACP Ammo Recomendations

Just picked up an Ultra CDP II and looking for recommendations on best ammo
for function and "social interaction" performance.

Thanks for the feedback...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger View Post
Just picked up an Ultra CDP II and looking for recommendations on best ammo
for function and "social interaction" performance.

Thanks for the feedback...
For target shooting, I use Winchester white box. For personal defense, there are many options out there from Hornady, Corbon, and others. I keep mine loaded with Hornady TAP personal defense rounds.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If it's a new gun, make sure to put some rounds through it and get it good and broken in. Also, most factory mags are but one step above junk so I'd invest in some Wilsons or Tripps. Also, the short barrel 1911s are especially hard on recoil springs - keep a few on hand...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #4

Thanks guys...

Yeah, it's practically new and needs break-in. It came with a Kimpro tactical mag and a standard blued one. I'll probably get a couple CobraMags, and maybe conversion kits for these.

Good tip on the recoil springs. I've heard good things about TAP, but pricey to practice with.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

45acp will work. A 308 or 9 mm will not fit. My Kimber will eat most 45acp ammo. You need to try to find what shoots best in your gun. Get different brands and try it out. Your practice ammo should be the same weight as your carry ammo.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I'll break it in with hardball or equivalent and go from there. Most likely my carry round will be a HP that's as ball-like as possible. In a 3" barrel I doubt a whole lot of expansion is going to happen.

I just added Crimson Trace LG-404 stocks last night - really nice. I have them on my S&W 442 & 66 (2.5") and they work great.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Folks I know that have JHP "cranky" 1911s have had good success with Cor-bon Pow'r Ball...

Old 09-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Codger - One of the toughest, and most common, questions we get in the shop is "what is the right ammo for my gun?"

The best way to know is to shoot several different brands and see what the gun likes. I know that sounds odd, but most folks will tell you they have a gun that shoots Brand X really well, but it doesn't like Brand Y.

For a carry gun, the most important thing is that it runs with 100% efficiency. I would try two or three different types of hollowpoint loads and see if there are any problems. When you find one that is reliable and you can group well with it, buy a couple of boxes from the same lot number and put them in the safe so you can rotate through your carry ammo over the upcoming months.

For range plinking, I generally buy what is common and affordable. I tear the end off with the information and if the ammo doesn't run well, or doesn't group well, I keep it in my range bag so I know not to buy it again.

That is a nice pistol you have there and I bet most brands will run just fine through it, but in the event you need it, you want to make sure that what you have fed it, while be able to get the job done.

JD

Old 09-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #9

Thanks Dillinger -very sound advice. Pretty much my feelings exactly and what I've done with my 1911s over the years.

Since I've been out of the compact 1911 "world" since I sold my modded LW Colt Officer's ACP many years ago I'm trying to get back "up-to-speed" on ammo developments.

Thanks to all for the useful feedback.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I will second the wilson mags. They are the best out there.