Kimber 4" vs 5"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Kimber 4" vs 5"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kimber 4" vs 5"

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my first 1911. I have been shooting M&Ps for a while but really want the trigger of a 1911! I am looking at the Eclipse Target II and am looking for opinions on the 4" barrel vs. the 5". Is there much difference in accuracy? I assume the longer sight picture would be an advantage but how much? My M&P .40 has a 4 1/4" and my .45 has a 4 1/2". Can't tell much of a difference.......

Rick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable member will chime in here but From what Ive noticed between my 3" and 5" is muzzle flip. The 3" is much more drastic than the 5". Plus the 5" as you mentioned has a slightly larger sight radius. I would say it really depends on what yer getting it for, ccw, home defense, target shooting ect.. If you re really only getting it to have one and target shoot on occasion than I would prob go for the 5". If you're getting it for ccw then I would prob go for the 4" if not a 3" . But then again its always better to have that extra two inches if you run out of ammo and have to bludgeon someone with it

Old 06-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I much prefer the shorter sight radius of the Compact. It allows for quicker target acquisition and easier pointability.

When I was shooting damn near every weekend, I was able to use my Compact to drop a magazine into a 8 or 10 inch steel at 50 yards in about 10 seconds. I'm not sure that the extra inch of barrel would have helped anything.

The bull barrel adds weight to the front end of the pistol, negating some of the muzzle flip associated with short barreled 1911s. Even in light of that, I added a set of Hogue Combats early on in my love affair. Recoil and muzzle flip isn't even an issue.

50 yard target:

You can see the 3 distinct groupings from the 3 points in my breathing that I held my breath to take the shot.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 06-27-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would have to say that accuracy for handguns does not totally come from the length of the barrel, but more from the shooter and the quality of the gun. Every gun shoots differently and only practice and proper training would be able to improve accuracy.

The difference between the 4" and 5" would not be too different in accuracy. I would focus more on what the application for the gun will be. protection = 3", smaller for concealment. Target = 5", longer for "accuracy". If your going to use if for target and protection then go 4".

Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Also note that the short barrel 1911s are usually more particular than full-size guns. They also tend to wear out springs much faster as well, the Kimber compact I had was rated for 500-700 rounds per spring change...

(Yup, it's been a long time since my last visit)

Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Also note that the short barrel 1911s are usually more particular than full-size guns. They also tend to wear out springs much faster as well, the Kimber compact I had was rated for 500-700 rounds per spring change...

(Yup, it's been a long time since my last visit)
I'm on my original set of springs. They've got about 10k rds on them and the pistol still functions perfectly.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 07-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Now, I'm almost exclusively 4" or 4.25" barrels on my .45's. I notice NO loss of any accuracy of the weapon going from the 5" to the 4". Muzzle flip differences between the two is a non factor. I find the 5" to be much less comfortable in daily carry, so I got rid of them. I'm sure others will have differing opinions, but for me the 4-4.25 barrel range is wonderful all around.
Good luck!
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
Now, I'm almost exclusively 4" or 4.25" barrels on my .45's. I notice NO loss of any accuracy of the weapon going from the 5" to the 4". Muzzle flip differences between the two is a non factor. I find the 5" to be much less comfortable in daily carry, so I got rid of them. I'm sure others will have differing opinions, but for me the 4-4.25 barrel range is wonderful all around.
Good luck!
Sarge
What's your take on the shortened sight radius? I find that it enhances pointability and quickens target acquisition.

Roger Waters

Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't notice much of a difference at all on anything but close double taps, and those are point shots anyway. As long as I see the 3 dots in a row over target, I know it's go time. Can't say as I'm any quicker or slower between 3" or 5" barrels.....
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Would there be much loss of velocity or energy when choosing a shorter barrel?