Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Kimber 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kimber-1911-a-82522/)

RNMKR_Actual01 01-26-2013 08:12 PM

Kimber 1911

I am looking at buying a Kimber 1911, mostly because it is half the price of a colt, but I have heard mixed reviews. Anyone know whether or not the Kimber 1911 is reliable? Or functionally practical?

limbkiller 01-26-2013 08:22 PM

Buy the Colt.

ShagNasty1001 01-26-2013 08:40 PM

Ride the pony. Buy once, cry once

danf_fl 01-26-2013 09:22 PM

I don't have any room for a Kimber in my safe, but I can fit a pony in.

Axxe55 01-26-2013 09:56 PM

Kimber makes a very nice looking pistol. some run very reliablily and have no problems at all, and some are constantly plagued with various problems. they only have a one year warranty and this turns off a lot of people.

with Colts warranty and their reputation, i would have to also recommend the Colt over the Kimber. several other makers of 1911's have much better warranties than the Kimber.

StainlessSteel215 01-26-2013 10:27 PM

Nice guns, WAY overpriced. The Raptor and Pro Carry series are pretty sweet....I prefer the officer models for these guns, shoots like a dream.

Never had issues with my Ultra Ten II but have read stories about how sensitive the guns are to certain ammo....even after a break in period. There are a LOT of quality 1911's out there now. Depends on what level of quality you want. I usually go medium quality on my 1911 purchases and am extremely happy with mine. I own a $600 American Classic Commander and a $800 Springfield Ultra Compact.

CHLChris 01-26-2013 10:57 PM

I've owned a couple of Kimbers...both of them were out of my possession within 6 months.

My Ultra Raptor II gave me fits. I'm sure my grip wasn't helping, but my Colt New Agent (same size) didn't have any problems.

My Pro TLE II had a finish that just seemed too fragile and the scratches proved it.

My Smith and Wesson scandium commander is awesome and doesn't give any of the same problems. There are more brands out there to compare than just Colt. Springfield and STI are a couple of others.

The warranty on Kimbers, alone, will keep me from ever owning one again!

jgoertz 01-27-2013 02:26 AM

Am I the only one in the world that likes Kimbers? I have two and luv-em!! No problems and tight and accurate.

otisthecat 01-27-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgoertz (Post 1111684)
Am I the only one in the world that likes Kimbers? I have two and luv-em!! No problems and tight and accurate.

Nope, have two as well and they're amazing firearms.

There are enough options on the market though that Kimbers less than stellar reception doesn't surprise me. They do have the worst warranty, did have some reliability issues and did help in giving MIM parts a worse reputation than they probably deserve at this point.

I'm happy with mine, which is really all I care about, but I don't blame anyone for being leery of their product. Kimber spends a ton on advertising, if they diverted even a fraction of that money into a concerted effort to show the gun buying populace how they have worked to correct some past errors they could probably earn back some goodwill.

As it stands though, if Kimber doesn't stop to acknowledge that they have a hell of a lot more competition now than they did, and change tactics accordingly, they could be in for some trouble down the road.