kdog is goin 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > kdog is goin 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default kdog is goin 1911

Hi guys,

since I can`t hit an open barn door with my Sig P226, I have decided to get rid of it and go for something different.
My local gunsmith has a 1977 Colt MK IV Series 70 in 9mm.
Hardly used at all. Looks new.

Now I know, that a 1911 is normally a .45 ACP, but due to the really crappy german gun laws, it`s a bit tricky here. So I am getting rid of a 9mm and have to replace it with a 9mm.

I took the Colt to the range yesterday and have to say, for the first time, with lousy sights and a trigger pull beyond anything good, it went pretty well.
I did have severe problems aligning the sights, since I could hardly see that mil spec front sight at all. But that and the really hard trigger pull is no real problem, that can`t be solved.

This will not be a carry gun, since that is not allowed here in germany. It will be used for target shooting only.
The price is € 350,- wich is approx. $ 470,-

What can you guys tell me about this model of the 1911, as I am kind of new to 1911`s?

Here are some pics of the 1911

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'll just step aside and hold the door open for Canebrake.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Welcome to the dark side!

I'm on the way out the door but never fear, I'll be back!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Hi guys,

since I can`t hit an open barn door with my Sig P226, I have decided to get rid of it and go for something different.
My local gunsmith has a 1977 Colt MK IV Series 70 in 9mm.
Hardly used at all. Looks new.

Now I know, that a 1911 is normally a .45 ACP, but due to the really crappy german gun laws, it`s a bit tricky here. So I am getting rid of a 9mm and have to replace it with a 9mm.

I took the Colt to the range yesterday and have to say, for the first time, with lousy sights and a trigger pull beyond anything good, it went pretty well.
I did have severe problems aligning the sights, since I could hardly see that mil spec front sight at all. But that and the really hard trigger pull is no real problem, that can`t be solved.

This will not be a carry gun, since that is not allowed here in germany. It will be used for target shooting only.
Quote:
The price is € 350,- wich is approx. $ 470,-
What can you guys tell me about this model of the 1911, as I am kind of new to 1911`s?

Here are some pics of the 1911

I can tell you if i was there you would NOT have to worry about it!
A like new 70 series 9mm for under $500

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Liked 1031 Times on 724 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Well I've had 1976 Colt MK IV Series 70 since well, er... 1976. (Pictured below) I carried it for 35 years, only recently moving from 45ACP to .40S&W for more capacity, but I'll never get rid of it.

Anyway, I'd jump on that Colt for the price. It's well worth it and it's a great pistol. A classic. I worked on my trigger and it's by far the best trigger on any pistol I have, almost too light but reliable still. The trigger on a Colt 1911 can be as good as any pistol out there.

The sights are small but durable. I never replaced the factory sights because I got pretty good with them anyway.

The only area of concern would be that a recent design like the Glock 17 would hold many more rounds yet the overall weight would be lighter. (Assuming your laws allow full capacity magazines.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-25-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I sure hope you have this Colt at home and with a bill of sale!

I would do nothing destructive to this piece of history.

I would remove that short trigger, put it in a safe place and install a long trigger version. That should do wonders to the pull. I'm guessing you don't use Calvary gloves while shooting?

I would get use to the GI "hump and bump" sights. Any change here would require machining to the slide and an instant drop in collectability and value.

Do what I did with my dad's M1911 A1 Ithaca, put some white-out on the front post to contrast the all GI brown-green finish. (blue in your case) This is a non-destructive change and easily reversed like the trigger swap.

I find the GI sights to be the best for PD use (read: point shooting) and modern sights are not needed in a carry piece.

If you must change the sights, get a new slide and modern dovetail sights. The cost of the slide and your choice of modern sights will be re-cooped in the gun retaining the original slide and GI sights.

I would bag and tag the recoil spring, main spring, sear spring, mag(s) and grips for posterity.

Replace with current technology parts and get yourself some Tripp Research Gen II Cobra 9mm mags.

Tripp Research Cobra Mag P/N 10R-9MM-RG

I will call Aaron @ Tripp on Monday and see if he can ship to Germany. If he can, I'll twist his arm to save you on shipping cost.

Don't be overly impressed, I need to talk to him about two custom orders for the canebrake arsenal.

Here are the recommendations for the internal parts;
Sear Spring WC Bullet Proof
ISMI Gun Springs
Galati Long Adjustable Trigger - Blued
Galati Long Adjustable Trigger - SS
EGW - Solid Trigger
EGW - E - Trigger

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

o.k.

I wish it would be mine already, but it only has my name on it. But it`s in my gun safe here at home.
It`s not so easy here in germany to replace a firearm, but that`s a different issue.

Since I will use the 1911 for target shooting, I will have to have the sights changed, but I have a very good gunsmith on hand, that knows what he is doing (just look at my CZ75 and what he did to that).

Getting an additional slide means, that has to be registered in the gun permit and that is a pain in the ass.
Point shooting is illegal here in germany.

I am not interested in collectables, so I am not so high on woorrying about having some machining done to it.

Last edited by kdog; 02-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I am not interested in collectables, so I am not so high on woorrying about having some machining done to it.
somewhere Canebrake tries to recover from this statement.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

I would do nothing destructive to this piece of history.
Cane, as you are the resident expert on 1911s, what is your personal opinion on adding a set of the Hogue grips to ANY 1911? Regardless of rarity or collectable? The reason I ask is because I noticed Quinton (above) has a set on his and I have a set also on a rare Kimber that I own. I do have the originals.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 02-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #10

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue View Post
somewhere Canebrake tries to recover from this statement.
Hell- I think I just had a minor (hopefully) stroke

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET