Just picked up an STI Elektra in .45acp...ammo recommendations? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Just picked up an STI Elektra in .45acp...ammo recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1429 Times on 809 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Good info utf +1

GOF, for your new gun test (to determine if it should go back to STI to be made right) there is no better, IMHO, than the ubiquitous WWB. Best new gun test ammo I have found! It's a gud 'ole WallyWorld staple.

It's reliable and clean compared to most range ammo and the brass is of good quality for reload or trade.

If you don't have an established new gun check-out procedure I'd like to suggest the - Break-in is a criminal activity or Noob mis-speak.

Works well for this old codger.

For PD ammo I'd look at this Buffalo Bore offering to see if it runs well in your new purchase. (after you're sure there are no issues with the new STI)

.45 ACP +P BUFFALO-BARNES Low Flash Pistol and Handgun Ammo

Another round I run in my Colt Defender is;

.45 Auto+P 230 gr HP XTP TAP FPD

If you don't want +P ammo this Hornaday works well;

.45 Auto 185 gr FTX Critical Defense

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
GirlsOfFire Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thank you very much utf for your detailed reply. Lots of good stuff in there, much of which is very much like what I normally do. I very much appreciate your response.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Canebrake, thank you for the awesome advice. I did go check out the posting that you linked to and very much agree with what you wrote. While I am certainly not new to the gun world and shoot quite regularly (all ammo donations gladly accepted), this is MY first 1911. So, I guess I can say that I'm a noob...lol...been a LONG time since I could say I was a noob about...well...anything! Hopefully though, that saying about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks really isn't entirely true. Always looking to and willing to learn. I normally do throw several hundred rounds through a new gun to test it and I was certainly expecting that this one may take a few extra...so...I will check back after the weekend and let you know the results. Thanks ever so much for taking the time and putting so much thought into your response. Much appreciated.