Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Just picked up an STI Elektra in .45acp...ammo recommendations? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/just-picked-up-sti-elektra-45acp-ammo-recommendations-67170/)

GirlsOfFire 06-27-2012 01:20 AM

Just picked up an STI Elektra in .45acp...ammo recommendations?

I also have a Colt New Agent on the way and Hubby has a Kimber Ultra Covert II that will soon be joining the family...would love to find something they will all "like".

Gatoragn 06-27-2012 01:38 AM

Hard to beat Winchester white box, Blazer or Fiocchi FMJ for trigger time.

I have used both Blazer brass and aluminum with good results.

Remington JHP in the green/white box runs well in my pistols.

You will just have to bite the bullet and test some HD/PD rounds to see what works for you.

porkchops 06-27-2012 01:45 AM

For range time, I think Blazer Brass is tops

porkchops 06-27-2012 01:47 AM

BTW, a Colt, Kimber, and now a STI? guess the recession is over.

GirlsOfFire 06-27-2012 02:00 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. The recession...nah that's still going strong. It's amazing what you can get though when you dedicate yourself to eating Ramen noodles! Gotta do something to support my "habit"....

danf_fl 06-27-2012 11:19 AM

While Monarch (steel case) is okay for informal range shooting, I would still shy away from it.

HOSSFLY 06-27-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 850611)
Hard to beat Winchester white box, Blazer or Fiocchi FMJ for trigger time.

I have used both Blazer brass and aluminum with good results.

Remington JHP in the green/white box runs well in my pistols.

You will just have to bite the bullet and test some HD/PD rounds to see what works for you.

Echo that- Here the WWB is cheepest & runs 100% in my 9's & 45's :)

utf59 06-27-2012 02:57 PM

You might want to break it in first.

Then get small amounts of various kinds, then take it to the range and test it. And by "test," I mean take notes. Because otherwise you may have trouble remembering which brand hiccupped in which gun (though hopefully it'll all feed well in every gun). Printed paper targets often have a place to fill in information, but even without anything provided, you can still write pertinent information like the gun you used, distance, ammo (brand, grain weight, etc.). Then you can take the targets home and compare them at your leisure if you like. Personally, I have taken to photographing the targets (use a Sharpie and write big) so I don't need to carry the targets home.

You'll also want to compare point of aim vs. point of impact between self-defense and practice loads. It'll be nice to be able to practice with target rounds that will hit the same place as your defense rounds.

What a great excuse to shoot a lot of rounds through some fine guns! :D

sputnik1988 06-27-2012 03:12 PM

I really like the federal champion for plinking, it's a little dirty but runs well.

GirlsOfFire 06-27-2012 03:55 PM

Wow, thanks folks for all of the great suggestions!