Just Inherited Grandfather's WW1 1911 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Just Inherited Grandfather's WW1 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
It was built by Colt in 1919 in a production run of 48,900.

It is a M1911 and it's value is what ever you want to assign to it. Do yourself and your family a favor and record everything you can verify about this gun. Write it down and store it in a safe place.

I'm in a similar position with my father's M1911A1 Ithaca build. Once we're gone NO ONE will know the significance and sacrifice the owner has made/paid during their stewardship of this firearm. AND, understand we do not own these firearms, they are only now in our stewardship and will be handed down when our term expires.

Welcome to this duty of love, it's our only connection to our past!

That was almost as beautiful as the pieces of history you guys hold.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #12

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
It was built by Colt in 1919 in a production run of 48,900.

It is a M1911 and it's value is what ever you want to assign to it. Do yourself and your family a favor and record everything you can verify about this gun. Write it down and store it in a safe place.

I'm in a similar position with my father's M1911A1 Ithaca build. Once we're gone NO ONE will know the significance and sacrifice the owner has made/paid during their stewardship of this firearm. AND, understand we do not own these firearms, they are only now in our stewardship and will be handed down when our term expires.

Welcome to this duty of love, it's our only connection to our past!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
That was almost as beautiful as the pieces of history you guys hold.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 AM   #13

Is there a girl one of those?

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
There doesn't need to be a girl version. The 1911 is a very manageable pistol to handle. They point naturally and the frame design allows you to get a nice high grip on it.

See if you can try a friends or rent one. Shoot 230gr. FMJ and don't shoot any +P or +P+ ammunition to start. The recoil is more of a push rather than a sharp snap like a .40 S&W. I'd rather shoot a 1911 rather than a .40 any day.

The 1911 is legendary almost to the point of being mythic, but there's real reasons for that. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, you can get 1911's chambered in 9mm, but a real 1911 is .45ACP.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #15

Umm yeah. You misunderstood. I was talking about the picture of the guy tipping his hat.

And you do not need to convince me of how good the 1911 is. I carry one daily.

CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Oh. My bad.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Atta girl. Keep carrying that 1911 proudly!!

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be wear; and they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #18

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I attended an gun auction this past Sunday that had two WWI Colt 1911's that were in 20% condition but winning bids were $1600 & $1700. Those old "girls" demand a good dollar.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #19

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #20

I like her.