Just got my springer 1911, what else do i need?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Just got my springer 1911, what else do i need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just got my springer 1911, what else do i need?

Hey Folks,
after doing my homework i decided on a springfield 1911 loaded stainless steel in 9mm. tomorrow morning i'll be making the purchase to make it official and i wanted to post this now so i can get some feedback and wait less by the time my beauty gets to me.

So, being that this is my first gun, tell me. what else do i need? Anything else i need to know? Accessories, tools and what not.

Recommend me
oil rags,
oils to oil my gun.
brushes or whatever for the barrel, cleaning.

Mags. I hear the stock magazines on the springer are not great and best to purchase third party. i hear great about Wilson and Mec Gar but which? can you post links on which to purchase?

Storing my gun. My house has no children just adults, 2 more and the house is large, so i plan to have my gun stored/hiding in 'plain' sight. are there special cases for this sort of thing? Is a drawer fine for this?

I read that leather and the gun case foam can remove the oils from the gun, is this true and frowned upon to keep the gun stored there?

I plan on going to the range at least once a month, but maybe a few times.
Good carrying case?

sorry for the questions, but i want to make it right.

i found out about the idiot scratch and i'm glad i found out so i can try to avoid it. any tips?

thanks y'all! you've been great with feedback on my other thread.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

A basic cleaning kit from Walmart will do you just fine along with some Hoppes #9 and some old cut up t-shirts. As far as mags, I haven't found any factory mags (not just Springer) that are really that good. Wilson & Tripp are the 2 brands recommended the most. While Mec-Gar makes great mags for other gun brands, for 1911s - not so much. Gun lube is an open subject as we all have our favorite. I've been using Mobil One for years (yup, car oil) and I'm going to be trying out some Wilson Ultima II shortly. I store mine either on racks or in pistol rugs and I have a number of range bags - most made for carrying multiple guns and lots of stuff...

Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 541

First off congrats on the new firearm!! A basic cleaning kit should be fine as stated. Also I really like using a bore snake for helping to clean the barrel. I also use hoppes #9 to clean and mobil 1 to lube. As far as mags I have Chip Mc Cormick mags and have been lucky with those so far. Many out door shops and online shops have nice range bags, cheaperthandirt.com and midwayusa.com are decent sites, but the bag is more prefrence to you, as long as it holds what your taking, i.e. hearing protection, some cleaner, ect. Good luck and remember safty first. And good shooting!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The first thing you need is to move out of Chicago.

The second thing you need is ammo...lots and lots of ammo.

After that, I'd say NGIB hit the nail on the head. Start with a basic cleaning kit. Follow the instructions in the manual. That'll help you learn your way around your gun. Then later, you might decide on a different/better bore brush, or a type of oil, or whatever. Those things you can do one at a time.

And ditto the Wilson and Tripp mags. Canebrake will be along later, and he'll put Tripp first.

And you need to shoot it. A lot. And enjoy it.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's all been covered. Now, shoot it a lot, then clean it and shoot it some more. Repeat often.

Nine millimeter ammunition is cheap. Buy a bunch. Buy different types and brands. Shoot a bunch of them and see which type/weight/brand works best.

Then buy a whole bunch of it. Shoot some and store the rest just on general principle.

Then, shoot it a lot, then clean it and shoot it some more. Repeat often.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Well, the first thing you need, is to POST A PIC!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Like sbninja stated, I believe it is a class 2 felony to talk about a new gun without posting pictures. So as soon as you get your grubby mitts on that thing, you need to get pictures in here.

As for mags, I have had zero trouble with my Chip McCormick Power mags. But after looking on Midway, it appears that they don't make mags in 9mm. I read several reviews and it seems there is no clear winner in the 9mm/1911 mag arena. It looks like Tripp does make 9mm mags, so I'd say spend your money there. Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines
As to bags/cases, I'm super pleased at the cheap Midway pistol bag I just ordered. Holds 7 extra mags on one side and has two fairly large zippered pockets on the other, each big enough for two boxes of ammo, well two boxes of 9mm anyway. For $7.99 I couldn't be happier.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Like sbninja stated, I believe it is a class 2 felony to talk about a new gun without posting pictures. So as soon as you get your grubby mitts on that thing, you need to get pictures in here.

As for mags, I have had zero trouble with my Chip McCormick Power mags. But after looking on Midway, it appears that they don't make mags in 9mm. I read several reviews and it seems there is no clear winner in the 9mm/1911 mag arena. It looks like Tripp does make 9mm mags, so I'd say spend your money there. Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines
As to bags/cases, I'm super pleased at the cheap Midway pistol bag I just ordered. Holds 7 extra mags on one side and has two fairly large zippered pockets on the other, each big enough for two boxes of ammo, well two boxes of 9mm anyway. For $7.99 I couldn't be happier.

i won the auction yesterday, i'll be making the payment tomorrow am. and then go to my local FFL to fax in the info, hopefully by beginning of next week i'll post pics.
russ, what's a better base? is it just for style? or is the allow worth another 8.50?

Old 02-17-2011, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First off, congrats on the Springfield. I just picked up a full size loaded in .45 this morning. It's my first 1911, I haven't shot it yet, and it's already my favorite pistol. I'm sure you'll love yours as well.

For all you picture Nazi's out there, I'm gonna put up some pictures as soon as I can find my camera.

I just recently got 4 Tripp's for my Springer, and I just went with the polymer and they are great. Other than looks, I don't see where the alloys would have that much of an added benefit. Before you try to disassemble and clean the pistol, I would recommend watching these 3 videos:

I watched these 3 before I did anything with my pistol, and then again as I took it apart and they helped tremendously.

Like others have said, the other stuff is really just personal preference. Ask 10 people about what they use to clean their guns and how they do it, and you'll more than likely get 10 different answers. Same with range bags.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 02-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
i won the auction yesterday, i'll be making the payment tomorrow am. and then go to my local FFL to fax in the info, hopefully by beginning of next week i'll post pics.
russ, what's a better base? is it just for style? or is the allow worth another 8.50?
Not worth the extra $8.50 to me. I'd just go with the polymer base.