Just asking....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Just asking....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Just asking....

Since I shoot the Cane's 1911, I'm in love with 1911's and I want one some day... but still some things that I don't understand....
I know that Goverment, Oficer, Comander, defender are 1911 in diferent sizes on grips and barel lenght, but what's the difference betwen a 1911, 1991, 80 Series, 70 Series...???

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The years they were made...???

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'll help a bit here. The 1911 is the basic platform as designed by JMB. The 1991 is an updated platform released by Colt with some changes. Series 70 is the description of guns without firing pin block. Series 80 is the description for guns with firing pin block. These are all Colt specific terms BTW.

Many times these terms are applied to other than Colt 1911s. Springers are often described as series 70s and any 1911 with a firing pin block are called series 80. Guns with firing pin blocks are sneered at by purists as it's extra stuff inserted in the "ignition circuit" that can affect trigger pull. Colt "powers" it's firing pin block linkage thru the trigger where other brands, like my S&W, use the grip safety.

For Kimbers, any model with a "II" in the name uses a firing pin block. This (and higher initial quality) is why series 1 Kimbers command high prices.

A Colt expert should be along shortly to supply even more detail...

Last edited by NGIB; 07-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Newest Threads