Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Joining the club in less than 24 hours!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs887 View Post
3 day? We have to wait 10!
wow! man it's been soooo long, but tomorrow is the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Looks good Greg. I'd clean it, grease it and shoot it.
is it best to clean and grease out the box first?
__________________

Last edited by marshall; 02-22-2011 at 05:50 AM.
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post



is it best to clean and great out the box first?
Pardon me, but could you please rephrase the question in English?
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Pardon me, but could you please rephrase the question in English?
oops, my bad. i edited my original post.

is it okay to shoot my new firearm straight out of the box, or is that a no no?
__________________
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Was the gun lubed properly at the factory? Is it packed in shipping grease? Did it sit at the distributor for 6 months or a year?

Yeah, always clean and properly lube a new gun before shooting it...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
oops, my bad. i edited my original post.

is it okay to shoot my new firearm straight out of the box, or is that a no no?
Much better. Ha. I always like to disassemble new guns just to see that everything looks OK. So I usually clean them and re-lube. But not always.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Was the gun lubed properly at the factory? Is it packed in shipping grease? Did it sit at the distributor for 6 months or a year?

Yeah, always clean and properly lube a new gun before shooting it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Much better. Ha. I always like to disassemble new guns just to see that everything looks OK. So I usually clean them and re-lube. But not always.
thanks. that's what i thought. i saw some videos of disassembly and cleaning. now i need the proper tools.
__________________
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
thanks. that's what i thought. i saw some videos of disassembly and cleaning. now i need the proper tools.
Are you talking about a 1911? If so, which one? A standard 1911 does not need any tools for dis-assembly.

If you have a full length guide rod, it can change things a bit.
__________________
NRA-Life
CRPA-Life

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI


"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Are you talking about a 1911? If so, which one? A standard 1911 does not need any tools for dis-assembly.

If you have a full length guide rod, it can change things a bit.
springfield loaded. so yeah the full guide rod. i'll need the allen wrench.
also, in tools, i meant the accessories needed to properly clean and lube.

turns out i need to wait the 3 days after i sign my transfer. DOH. friday is the day.
__________________

Last edited by marshall; 02-23-2011 at 02:45 AM.
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DALLAS,TEXAS
Posts: 216
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

that sucks..

if i am not mistaken you could not even get a handgun in chicago a few years ago.

bright side.

__________________
pranc2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranc2 View Post
that sucks..

if i am not mistaken you could not even get a handgun in chicago a few years ago.

bright side.
you're right. Supreme court over ruled that last summer, sometime in july. so we can legally have guns, registered. because our old mayor wanted it banned (was about 26 years) he made all sorts of loops and expensive ways to get it registered.
ill and wis are only states not allowed to CCW. but looks like bills have been introduced and this year looks promising....
__________________
marshall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
12 hours, really? NGIB General Handgun Discussion 14 10-06-2010 11:05 AM
3 shootings, 6 hours zhuk The Club House 8 08-02-2010 10:29 AM
Obama wants.... more school hours? MichaelG Politics, Religion and Controversy 14 09-28-2009 10:59 PM