Iver Johnson 1911's?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Iver Johnson 1911's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 260 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Default Iver Johnson 1911's?

http://www.iverjohnsonarms.com/

These seem really cheap and tacky. Also I thought they were out of business and the guns they used to make were of poor quality. Any opinions?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

My Friend about 3 streets over loves 1911's like most of us do. He's Got the Commander length one and carries it Daily. Like Several Members here he's an Ex-Military Guy (32 Years Navy, Ret. as an E8-Guess that Sr. CPO,..).... You could do Worse..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Someone resurrected the Iver Johnson name and started importing inexpensive Philippine guns. Not sure why. They aren't the first, probably not the last.
Shooters Arms Manufacturing, Google them, they have a site, but I can't get it to open. From what I have read, they are pretty good for their price point. Some of their styling choices are interesting. The Zombie model? Juvenile. The snake models? Awful. The digital camo models are interesting, but a bit busy for my taste. Some of the more normal designs are OK, though. However, all that Cerekote hides a lot of sins... did you look closely at the slide on the "Eagle Polished?" That one should have been cerekoted.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

We'll see. for $5 bills I can get the 9MM commander sized...If it's decent, I'll keep it, if not it goes to the Pawn Shop....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 AM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I picked up a used 3" Thrasher model in .45ACP. Shot it a bit today at a bowling pin match and it was a good solid gun. Has a cheap set of grips on it but that will be easily remedied. My only complaint is that it ejects the brass straight up. I'll have to figure out how to change that.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:16 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I picked up a used 3" Thrasher model in .45ACP. Shot it a bit today at a bowling pin match and it was a good solid gun. Has a cheap set of grips on it but that will be easily remedied. My only complaint is that it ejects the brass straight up. I'll have to figure out how to change that.
you can adjust the extractor to change where the brass will fall when ejected. i had the same problem with my Commander sized 1911, when i first got it and about every 2nd to 3rd round would try and bounce off my forehead. Canebrake walked me through a tutorial on how to check for if it needed the extractor adjusted and then how to adjust the extractor. when i was finished, it would lay the empties about 5-6 feet right behind my right shoulder.

i will see if i can find the thread where he walked me through it. it wasn't that difficult in the least.

Edit: i found one thread where he goes through how to adjust the extractor. here's a link to that thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/kahr-arms-wwii-pkz-se-stoppages-75520/#post1000109

Last edited by Axxe55; 03-03-2014 at 03:26 AM.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 AM   #7

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Thanks. I'll have to give it a try. Seems pretty straight forward.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #8

Default Iver Johnson 1911's?

You beat me to it Axxe! That's exactly what I was told was ended to be done back in the day when I shot matches stadily

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

They are good guns i have owned a few never a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk