Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > It's Nearly 1911 Time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default It's Nearly 1911 Time.

I've been reading through all the recent 1911 threads, and have been going back and forth on which model to get. First I wanted the Springer Loaded Black Stainless, then it was the regular Stainless Loaded, then went to the Kimber Custom TLE II, and have finally decided on the Springfield Loaded Parkerized.

It has all the features I was looking for, lowered and flared ejection port, steel frame, dovetail sights, extended beaver-tail grip safety, etc, and some I didn't really need like the FLGR and ambi-safety, and one thing I really don't want which is the ILS(locking system in the MSH), but that will eventually be changed out.

The reason I decided on this model over the Kimber, is because I've heard some really good things about the Springer, plus the difference in price between the two will pay for the 500 rounds of ball ammo, the range fees as well as a couple of CobraMags. Which brings me to one of my questions. For a strictly range/run gun, is there any reason not to get the 8 rounders over the 7? They're the same price, and I figure the extra round will be nice.

I read Cane's post here, and most of it makes sense and I will be doing it. The one thing that is contradictory to what I usually do with a new pistol is not taking it home to clean it prior to the first shoot. I was just curious as that is the opposite of what I've always done with a new firearm.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions over the next couple of weeks as I save up the last bit of money, and as I think of them I'll ask them. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Fred, I clean and lube all of mine before they go to the range. As far as the mags, 90% of mine are 8 rounders and as long as you buy quality, you'll not have problems. Yes, the lock in the MSH bothers some but I prefer that lock to the firing pin block in Kimbers. Just swap out the MSH (be sure to buy the "innerds" as they aren't compatible) and the lock is gone. All but 1 of my 1911s are Springers and I like them...

Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I read Cane's post here, and most of it makes sense and I will be doing it. The one thing that is contradictory to what I usually do with a new pistol is not taking it home to clean it prior to the first shoot. I was just curious as that is the opposite of what I've always done with a new firearm. -Fred
Fred, you're NOT a noobie! Take it home and inspect it as you would with any new gun. If that includes disassembly, by all means do that.

In the case of a noob, opening up a 1911 for the first time (s)he will undoubtedly get something wrong on re-assembly.

And lost in that new, gun test is the need to check for and clean the barrel of obstructions like storage/shipping grease or cosmoline.

My point is to test the new gun prior to ANY mods or changes.

Also the concern for Chris was the fact that the new gun he was going to get had a Teflon coating on the receiver including the feed ramp. Teflon doesn't like to be polished!

Oh yea, get the 8 rounders and great choice on the Springer!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-31-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Yes, the lock in the MSH bothers some but I prefer that lock to the firing pin block in Kimbers. Just swap out the MSH (be sure to buy the "innerds" as they aren't compatible) and the lock is gone. All but 1 of my 1911s are Springers and I like them...
The lock isn't that big of a deal really. It's just not something I need, and just seems like it adds another part that could possibly fail, leaving the gun inoperable. What "innerds" need to be changed along with the MSH? The lack of a firing pin block was one of the things that originally drew me to the Springers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Fred, you're NOT a noobie! Take it home and inspect it as you would with any new gun. If that includes disassembly, by all means do that.

In the case of a noob, opening up a 1911 for the first time (s)he will undoubtedly get something wrong on re-assembly.

And lost in that new, gun test is the need to check for and clean the barrel of obstructions like storage/shipping grease or cosmoline.

My point is to test the new gun prior to ANY mods or changes.

Also the concern for Chris was the fact that the new gun he was going to get had a Teflon coating on the receiver including the feed ramp. Teflon doesn't like to be polished!

Oh yea, get the 8 rounders and great choice on the Springer!
Ok, thanks for the clarification Cane. There are a few things that I might change, the MSH being one of them, but definitely will not do it until I have at least 500 rounds through it. I've watched a few videos on the reassembly, and it doesn't look too difficult. There were a few different tips I saw on not scratching the frame as well.

Thanks, I just ordered 4 of the 8 rounders from Tripp as I wanted to already have the mags when I got the gun.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The Springer MSH's with lock do not use standard parts like the mainspring, cap, retaining pin and plunger. Look at the schematics at Brownells and you can see what you'll have to replace - the innards are less than $10. I generally change all my flat MSH's for arched so this kills 2 birds with 1 stone...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #7

Quote:
The Springer MSH's with lock do not use standard parts like the mainspring, cap, retaining pin and plunger. Look at the schematics at Brownells and you can see what you'll have to replace - the innards are less than $10. I generally change all my flat MSH's for arched so this kills 2 birds with 1 stone...
Will do. Somehow it always slips my mind that Brownells has all those handy schematics and how-to's.

Also, just to keep everyone updated, I ordered 4 of the Tripp 8-rounders the other day, so hopefully those will be in either later this week or early next week. I also went to a local gun store, and they carry the model I want, for only slightly more than it costs online, but less by the time I get it transferred and shipped, plus I can inspect and hold the exact pistol I'll end up getting, which I prefer. After holding it, it makes me even that much more anxious for the day when I can finally shoot it. They have a 30 day layaway program, so once I get paid on Thursday, I'll be making another trip over there to put one of layaway.

Will keep everyone updated. Thanks again for all the info.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Update: Went to my local gun store on Thursday and got the pistol put on layaway. Came to about $855 after tax and background check.

Quote:
After doing some reading on removing the ILS, i read that Springer uses a heavier than usual Mainspring, 28 pounds as opposed to the 23 pound spring that most other companies use. I read that switching it to a 23# spring can help lighten the trigger a little bit. But now my question. It seems that Springfield uses the heavier mainspring to overcome the light firing pin/heavy FPS combo, and some people said that they've seen switching the Main spring to 23# cause light primer strikes, so they say to switch the FPS to a normal power spring as well.

Is this something any of you guys think will present as a problem? If so, it wouldn't be a big deal for me to change out the FPS. I guess I'm just curious more than anything. The spring only costs a few bucks so it's not a big deal to change. One thing I've noticed though is that a lot of companies don't make normal power FPS(Wolff, EGW, etc).

Thanks again for any help.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!