Internal vs. External extractors? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Internal vs. External extractors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This could easily become another full length guide rod vs. GI setup. Both work well. Internal extractors do have the rep of needing to be tuned/tweaked occasionally; and an otherwise good 1911 can be turned into junk by an inexperienced operator doing his own thing. I tend to side with S&W and Sig.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #22

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
Any preference? I prefer internal and probably will never buy an external,
Quote:
I sure was disappointed with the S&W 1911 I would have liked to have a S&W 1911 but ain't going to happen...
how do y'all feel about
I'd say you're missin out on a superb 1911

Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One sound reason to buy a *modern* Hi-Power for a shooter is the utilization of an external extractor.
This is due to the lack of availability of the older internal extractors.
It is not easy to find a spare internal extractor for the vintage Hi-Powers anymore.

Carry on!

Be Well.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #24

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Actually, the original design of the Browning Hi Power had a internal extractor. It wasn't until the early '60s that the external extractor was incorporated .

In 1962, the design was modified to replace the internal extractor with an external extractor.
Thank you for that information Sir. I was not aware of the timing, but have run across BHP's with internal extractors. I have no preference either way as those I have with and without have functioned well.

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is Godís job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 02-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #25

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post
From what I understand, external ejector equipped 1911 have fewer failure to eject than the internal design.
I thought the subject was extractor.

Anyway, my Kimber has an internal extractor, but from what I have read from other Kimber owners, they tried the external extractors for a while, but they didn't work so they went back to the internal. I guess I was lucky that they had done that before I bought mine.

On the other hand, seems S&W uses external extractors & have been successful. I don't know what they did differently. Also, many of the non-1911 pistol platforms use external extractors & you don't hear a lot of complaints about them.

Wonder what the difference is.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I thought the subject was extractor.

Anyway, my Kimber has an internal extractor, but from what I have read from other Kimber owners, they tried the external extractors for a while, but they didn't work so they went back to the internal. I guess I was lucky that they had done that before I bought mine.

On the other hand, seems S&W uses external extractors & have been successful. I don't know what they did differently. Also, many of the non-1911 pistol platforms use external extractors & you don't hear a lot of complaints about them.

Wonder what the difference is.
Kimber had some early problems with their external extractors. They just started sending out change after change, in their Dedigns.

This did not solve all problems as many were not really extractor problems.
Then they just gave in to negative pressure from the marking people, and returned to the internal Design.
This just left a lot of owners wanting new slides and Kimber gave them new slides. IMHO it did a lot of harm to Kimber in being a Design leader and just made it clear that the marketing people run Kimber not thir Engineers.
This is a reason I lost faith in Kimber and got rid of mine.

Last edited by rifleshooter474; 02-11-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #27

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I don't really see extractor position being a reason not to buy one over another.I have quite a few 1911s' and two of my absolute favorite shooters are my E-series Smith and my Sig STX,never a fault out of either one.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #28

Liked 1037 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Now i prefer a 1911 with an internal extractor, but i just LOVE 1911s. I will buy one with an external one of these days, im sure of it