Im starting to like 1911's - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Im starting to like 1911's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
Thanks for everyones advice. I forgot to say I will only consider amerian made
I am not aware of any American made 1911's for $500.

I see some Remington R1's on line for ~$560, but add shipping, FFL fees, taxes if applicable, your over $600.

I am awaiting the arrival of RIA Tactical 9mm for $495 OTD from my local gun store.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #22

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

And i live in communist controlled massachusetts

Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #23

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yes the RIA and High Standard 1911s are not made in USA, woopty frickin doo!

They are still quality guns that look and function great and i have no regrets about buying mine. A person should quit sweating the small stuff and look at the big picture, the price of them does not dictate the quality.

I can tell you now that you arent gonna find a new USA made 1911 for $500

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Yes the RIA and High Standard 1911s are not made in USA, woopty frickin doo!

They are still quality guns that look and function great and i have no regrets about buying mine. A person should quit sweating the small stuff and look at the big picture, the price of them does not dictate the quality.

I can tell you now that you arent gonna find a new USA made 1911 for $500
probably going to be quite difficult to find even a used American made 1911 for that price, unless he gets extremely lucky. in my area, a used Colt in decent shape is in the $750 plus in price.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #25

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

People talk a lot of crap on guns that aren't made in the U.S. But I have to ask if they are that picky on the other things they buy.

Anyway. When I first got into 1911s I picked up a RIA. It was the base model they made a few years ago. The one that came with the Gov sights and hammer and what not.

Several years and probably ten thousand rounds later it is still running strong. I can probably count the number of miss feeds on both hands and a foot, and believe that I can attribute them to mags that I didn't swap out soon enough. The only issue I had with it was where the slide lock catches. There was a metalurgy issue after about five thousand rounds. It started to get beat up pretty good. I called up RIAs customer service. They paid shipping, and I had it back four weeks later. There were no questions as to what type of ammo I shot how many rounds were through it, if I used reloads, or anything else. The woman who spoke perfect English just said something to the effect of. "Well I'm sorry that youve had a problem with one of our guns, Which FFL do you use so I can arrange shipping?" I was floored.

I still have it sitting in the safe. I still feel comfortable carrying it, and on occasion do. But I upgraded to the "newer" RIA that had the skeltionized trigger, hammer, the better sights and beaver tail. It still gets a lot of use and is just as good as the first one I bought.

I carried both through about the roughest conditions a civilian can likely expect to encounter, and never had an issue. They both ate everything I gave em without any extra work. HC Lead RN, HC Lead SWC, copper jacket, copper plated, JHP of every sort. Even 200 GR RNFP that was supposed to be loaded into LC. They just didn't care. Went bang when asked.

I don't carry it as much as before, but only because I picked up a compact for daily carry. But come winter time, one or the other will again be inside my beltline.

Those three are not the only ones Ive owned or used. But honestly other than having the bells and whistles, or the pretty finish, I really didn't notice too much difference.

Some people have complained about the finish wearing from drawing and holstering. And yes, they are right, it will get worn shinny if you use it. But I am not carrying to make a fashion statement. I am carrying to defend my life.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-11-2012 at 05:27 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #26

Eturnsdale, any pistol you carry everyday, the finish is going to suffer to some degree, irregardless of it's maker or price.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #27

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

That is very true.

Just to reiterate.
25 yard slow fire.

10 yard Mozambique drill from the concealed holster (point shooting on the first two rounds of each string). Three rounds three seconds, directly after a little run.

Yeah, my RIAs do just fine.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

People Like This 
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
That is very true.

Just to reiterate.
25 yard slow fire.

10 yard Mozambique drill directly after a little run.

Yeah, my RIAs do just fine.
not bad at all! good shooting there.

personally i have not owned the RIA pistols yet, but having looked at them and from others experiances with them, i have one on order, a 1911 in 38 Super. i have owned two of the MetroArms American Classic II's and was really impressed with the first, so i ordered a second one, a Commander sized one. very pleased with it so far.

Last edited by Axxe55; 09-11-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #29

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Don't get a $500 1911 cause once you get one youll start seeing that in the 1911 field its all about quality. Go with a colt xse or a 70s series you can pick them up in the mid 700 range. But if money is absolutley tight go with a uramax its a company made by colt. Only bax tbing is u cant upgrade your sights....n why get a 1911 if you havr no sights.
UMAREX is the importer of the Regent .45 ACP 1911, a pistol manufactured by the Trabzon Gun Industry located in Turkey. It has an investment cast receiver.

UMAREX also imports the Colt (labeled) 1911-22 manufactured by Carl Walther Germany under license from New Colt Holding Corporation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
so are you suggesting that RIA, MetroArms, and High Standard are low end pistols that are to be avoided? please clarify your reasons on this. as i am very interested to hear your opinions on these pistols.

also the Umarex 1911 isn't made by Colt, and is made in Turkey and imported by Umarex. and according to their website, seems as all 1911 parts and accessories will interchange with the Regent 1911.
Quote:
I refered the uramax as a low end. .proly tbe only low end one id go with
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
Do you mean the Umarex 45 that's made in Turkey? The 22's they import are German but the 45 is Turkish according to their website. I've had nothing but good luck with the RI's, worked on a few Metro' s also. There are a few well priced, well built 45's on the market these days. It's like anything else what do you want to do with it and how much of the attraction is in the name. Colt is a great pistol, not everyone can afford one, I can and do, but I'm not willing to lay out a Hugh sum for another. I shot my RI the most these days, taught my son to shoot a 1911 on it, some day I'll give him the Colt, but for now the RI does the job just fine.
Quote:
Cane help me out here
I own several Colt 1911's based on their quality/price point and find them (for me) to be my best choice for the money. For that purchase criterion they are far superior to other marks.

Please note; I am NOT saying they are superior to all other 1911's, just the best I can afford. I am not a Colt fan-boy, just a wise user of my limited cash holdings.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #30

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn

I am not aware of any American made 1911's for $500.

I see some Remington R1's on line for ~$560, but add shipping, FFL fees, taxes if applicable, your over $600.

I am awaiting the arrival of RIA Tactical 9mm for $495 OTD from my local gun store.
You are going to love it, my son likes shooting mine about as much as he does his hi-power