I'm reading that 1911s aren't worthy service pistols.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I'm reading that 1911s aren't worthy service pistols.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 108 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Default I'm reading that 1911s aren't worthy service pistols.

I've read stuff recently, sometimes written by folks who should know better that 1911s are just antique range toys and need to be under glass somewhere. Crap. What bugs me most about this is I would like folks to define a 1911. I have six pistols that are 1911ish but only one that is. My GSG/ Sig .22, not even close. ARMSCOR compact, where is the rest of the gun and the barrel bushing. Delta Elite, closer still but Series 80 and some non spec parts and a double spring 1991A1, closer still but another Series 80 and some plastic where it shouldn't be. S&W 1911, nope. Beavertail, full length guide rod and I haven't even looked at what else. Finally 1917 Black Army 1911 and we have a winner.
My rambling point is if you have an altered gun or MIM parts of a plastic or alloy frame or a double stack mag...or god forbid one of those double barrels abortions it ain't a 1911. I like my big sights and am very comfortable with Series 80 and am not about to strip my guns of their mods but when people have the nerve to run down one of the best pistols ever to fit a hand they ought to know what they are talking about. Not suggesting we all worship at the 1911 altar or even the .45, my personal favorite is and always will be the P35 just much harder to find these days.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

artbrownsr Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #2

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

My ignorance in the differnces stated here is probably THE THING that makes some folks say the things they do, Not knowing the difference. I am NOT a handgunner, but the 1911A1 has been around a long time with some improvements made to the feed, ejection, and trigger function without substancialy changing the look, and safety of the weapon. That tells me if I were to get one in good physical shape, with some tlc and some $ I could have a first rate handgun that should reliably protect me and mine.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1959 Times on 1360 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

If you name the source, a serious discussion may become possible.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i certainly don't consider any of mine to be antique range guns by any means. mine are most definitely used for SD purposes. mine are accurate and reliable and i trust them.

unless i'm mistaken, are the Colt 1911 and 1911A1 not the most copied pistol designs ever?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #5

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

I have a couple 1911s that have all the forged parts. One was built from the frame up to be used for Service pistol target matches. Do the one big cosmetic thing about it is the target sights which wouldn't stand up to hard use. The pistol has run every type if ammo I've fed it flawlessly, including aggressive hollow points. The frame, slide, barrel, bushing and trigger are very tightly fitted. I doubt it would do well with a lot of dirt exposure. But that is not what I built it for.

My other is a Springfield Armory frame and slide with all the parts selected to be more of a "combat" philosophy in mind. I did actually torture test it alongside my Glock and Beretta. The areas that caused the 1911 to choke were dirt access into the trigger bow, races, and around the hammer and down into the area of the sear. Also dirt between the hammer and rear of the slide can prevent firing. Dirt also made its way in around the grip safety. The Beretta seemed to have dirt and grit shake out easier. The Glock seemed to not allow as much dirt in, and still functioned longer once dirt did get in.

Combat weapons all require maintenance. The 1911 survives harsh conditions. It has some intricacies in its trigger system and that unnecessary grip safety that make it a bit more vulnerable to dirt than some more modern designs. Handguns are secondary weapons, and if maintained, should work fine.

For modern military logistics, the requirement for many 1911 parts to need hand fitting is not as practical as some modern designs which can have replacement parts and modules just dropped in.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #6

Liked 96 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Antique 1911 range toy?

Sure, I've got one of those. I've also got the most recent entry into the .45 arena, one American Rifleman heralded as a 'perfect 10' on a recent cover (and more than a few reviewers and owners tend to agree).

Why would this evolutionary progress be a problem?

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 AM   #7

Liked 246 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have seen a fairly new plastic mainspring housing crack.

Also saw a series 80 stick the firing pin fwd (on the last shot in practice).
Later when chambering a round to shoot a stage, it went off (safely pointed downrange).

It was converted to series 70 after that.

My Commander (Series 90) has been flawless. But I swapped out the plastic MS housing for a Pachmayr arched, run a Wilson guidreod and Hogue slabs. Trigger is light, and came that way.
10K+ and zero issues.

Do forget what # my recoil spring is. Heavy one. Proly due for a change. CMC, Wilson and Colt mags............never a problem. I shoot some reloads my dad does, and my carry stuff is 230 SXT
(or whatever the newest version is called).

I have tried the SIG 220 in a couple of versions, don't care for it.

Last edited by Hookeye; 08-03-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Ignore them. There is a reason, a hundred years after it's introduction, the 1911 is the most copied pistol in history.

Terry

Jesus Christ told me to be armed.
The government wants me disarmed.
Guess which one I will obey?

People Like This 
Old 08-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

yep, this guy thinks they suck!

but i don't put much credibility in his opinions anymore. he's an idiot!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2882 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

In my opinion, a 1911 still draws more respect and admiration than some polymer job.

If the gun is past its prime, then why is it still the choice of so many in the military?

I don't know your source, but fiction, if repeated enough, becomes the supposed "truth".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This