I'm Lost - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I'm Lost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Thanks for the advice everyone! Looks like I have a lot of research to do. I'll have to check those suggestions out as well.

Oh, and what does everyone think of the full size vs. the long slide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Do what I did.

Read the info here, talk to a few or our longtime 1911 members. Research prices as well as anything you can find that can help you on your way. Do your own "Vision Quest".

Me? My "Quest" ended me up with this.
Is that a PX9151LP? It looks just like the one I almost bought the other day. Glad I didn't because it was $1,100. I just checked the place that sold me my P380 and it's only $750.

I'm really tempted now.

Last edited by Polygon; 02-24-2011 at 01:50 AM.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

The long slide is a pretty specialized gun and the balance is a lot different than a government model. I like mine but I actually shoot my 5" guns better right now. They are also a tad expensive - at least $250 more than an equivalent government model. Also very hard to find as the manufacturers do not make a ton of them. My Loaded Target cost me $999 online...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 1812 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

I like the long slide for target practice, but I think it is impractical to carry.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I like the long slide for target practice, but I think it is impractical to carry.
Ya think Dan.

I have OC'd this one before at a special function (where everybody was OC). Looked really impressive in the little Hume JIT slide...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3147 Times on 1812 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

OC yeah. CC, well I have a hard enough time with .... 6".......

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3163 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Springfield is a good starting point. They have something for nearly everyone. Mine has been problem free as far as the gun is concerned (User inflicted variables are another issue.) You can't really mess up by getting a Colt either. Kimbers seem nice and well made, but stamping the name "Kimber" on a gun seems to increase the cost more than I would like.
Not the greatest pic, but here is my Springfield Trophy match:

springfield-armory-45-2.jpg  
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #17

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The long slide is a pretty specialized gun and the balance is a lot different than a government model. I like mine but I actually shoot my 5" guns better right now. They are also a tad expensive - at least $250 more than an equivalent government model. Also very hard to find as the manufacturers do not make a ton of them. My Loaded Target cost me $999 online...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Ya think Dan.

I have OC'd this one before at a special function (where everybody was OC). Looked really impressive in the little Hume JIT slide...
Hehehe, I can imagine seeing that thing OC. I don't plan to conceal it as I have other guns for that. Sounds like I'm going to have see if I can find a place I can try the 5" and the long slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Springfield is a good starting point. They have something for nearly everyone. Mine has been problem free as far as the gun is concerned (User inflicted variables are another issue.) You can't really mess up by getting a Colt either. Kimbers seem nice and well made, but stamping the name "Kimber" on a gun seems to increase the cost more than I would like.
Not the greatest pic, but here is my Springfield Trophy match:
That seems to be what I'm finding. The Kimbers seem to be as much as the Colts. I could be ignorant, but for the money I just feel like I would rather go with a Colt. I doubt this will be the only 1911 I buy and it seems like Springfield is just really coming out on top to me right now. I really like the Trophy Match series and they seem like the best bang for the buck, and being this is only my third gun that might be the best way to go starting out.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:10 AM   #18

i just bought a springfield loaded, range fun so i got it in 9mm. also my first gun.
after waiting 5 days on shipping and a 3 day law wait, tomorrow i pick her up!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #19

Kimber,
easy on the pocket, and never has let me down,
good luck with whatever you get