Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   I'm Lost (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/im-lost-38806/)

Polygon 02-22-2011 04:44 AM

I'm Lost
 
So, I've decided that my next gun purchase will be a 1911. However, I don't know where to start. There are so many companies making some variant of the 1911 that don't know where to start to even begin to decide on one to buy.

Any help?

LONGHAIR 02-22-2011 04:47 AM

Kimber-45.......

Jpyle 02-22-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon (Post 450841)
So, I've decided that my next gun purchase will be a 1911. However, I don't know where to start. There are so many companies making some variant of the 1911 that don't know where to start to even begin to decide on one to buy.

Any help?

You will no doubt get quite a few responses to this question. Some things to think about so that others can be more specific in their suggestions would be: price range, purpose or use, your ability to modify or upgrade, finish, size (full size, commander or agent ), caliber, etc.

As you note, there are literally hundreds of 1911s on the market today ranging in price from around $500 on up to several thousand dollars.

Just for starters...Springfield, Colt, Kimber and RIA would be a good place to start to get a sense for price range, features and specs., you can tailor your search from there.

FCross7 02-22-2011 04:57 AM

First and foremost, what will the pistol be used for? Is this gonna be a range/fun gun, concealed carry, maybe some of both. Also, what kind of budget are you working with, as that can play a large role in what people will recommend. When getting a 1911, you can spend anywhere from $400 to close to $4000, just depends on what you want.

Me personally, one day I'd like to own one of the $2000+ 1911's; either an Ed Brown or Nighthawk, but for not, it's just not feasible. I just got a 1911 about a week ago, and went with the Springfield Loaded 5" Parkerized. For my first 1911, I was just looking for a good solid range gun, and something maybe to get me into competition. I paid about $850 out the door for mine NIB, and would definitely recommend Springfield. Others will have their recommendations, and really any quality 1911 will perform if maintained correctly.

-Fred

Polygon 02-22-2011 05:26 AM

Wow! I had no idea they went all the way up to $4,000.

Right now, I don't want to spend much more than $1,000. I would want a .45 and I would mostly be using it as a fun/range gun. As for modifying and upgrading. I do it with every other hobby I've had so I'm sure I would be doing it here.

Today wile I was picking up my P380 a Colt and Springfield caught my eye. I damn near bought one of them. But then I realized I knew nothing about them and decided to come home and ask the people that do. :D

CA357 02-22-2011 05:36 AM

Read a bunch of stuff in the 1911 Forum here. Go online to the various manufacturer's websites and do some free comparison shopping. and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Of course there will be brand loyalty here, just do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions.

38SuperFan 02-22-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Right now, I don't want to spend much more than $1,000. I would want a .45 and I would mostly be using it as a fun/range gun. As for modifying and upgrading. I do it with every other hobby I've had so I'm sure I would be doing it here.

The STI Trojan would be an excellent choice, IMO it's the best quality 1911 in that price range.

HKSlinger 02-22-2011 05:56 AM

Anything Springer.

skullcrusher 02-22-2011 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do what I did.

Read the info here, talk to a few or our longtime 1911 members. Research prices as well as anything you can find that can help you on your way. Do your own "Vision Quest".

Me? My "Quest" ended me up with this.

NGIB 02-22-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 450904)
Do what I did.

Read the info here, talk to a few or our longtime 1911 members. Research prices as well as anything you can find that can help you on your way. Do your own "Vision Quest".

Me? My "Quest" ended me up with this.

And a great choice it was...


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:10 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.