Im going to buy a new 1911 but I need help, kimber or colt - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Im going to buy a new 1911 but I need help, kimber or colt


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
It's not MIM that needs to be avoided, it's poor quality MIM. Of the standard production 1911 makers, Colt uses the least amount of MIM and their MIM parts are great quality. Colt, and if not Colt then Wilson Combat, have proven that quality MIM parts are not junk, not by a long shot. While WC doesn't put MIM parts in their builds today, they did at one time. MIM gets it bad name from manufacturers that get their MIM parts overseas from the lowest bidder.
If you bring WC into the conversation. Yes, they used MIM parts at one time. They stopped using them b/c they are well IMO junk. If I were going to use the firearm as any type of protection and to get that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it will fire on every trigger pull, I would have to get rid all MIM parts. They break, it is a fact. There is no getting around it, no, well Colt makes makes better MIM parts than Kimber. It is still metal injected molding Junk.

Why pay almost the same for a firearm that has MIM, when you can purchase one without.
esc2820 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleshooter474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 245
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc2820 View Post
If you bring WC into the conversation. Yes, they used MIM parts at one time. They stopped using them b/c they are well IMO junk. If I were going to use the firearm as any type of protection and to get that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it will fire on every trigger pull, I would have to get rid all MIM parts. They break, it is a fact. There is no getting around it, no, well Colt makes makes better MIM parts than Kimber. It is still metal injected molding Junk.

Why pay almost the same for a firearm that has MIM, when you can purchase one without.
Have you had MIM parts break? If so in what brand 1911 and when was it what year and also what parts broke?
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jca1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: R.R.,NC
Posts: 1,464
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc2820 View Post
If you bring WC into the conversation. Yes, they used MIM parts at one time. They stopped using them b/c they are well IMO junk. If I were going to use the firearm as any type of protection and to get that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing it will fire on every trigger pull, I would have to get rid all MIM parts. They break, it is a fact. There is no getting around it, no, well Colt makes makes better MIM parts than Kimber. It is still metal injected molding Junk.

Why pay almost the same for a firearm that has MIM, when you can purchase one without.
I'm sorry...but I think you're wrong. Therefore we shall agree to disagree. I won't disagree that "no MIM" is better, but I will not agree that MIM is junk. Kimbers overseas lowest bidder MIM may be junk, but Colt's, made is USA by Colt, MIM is not junk.
__________________
[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/
jca1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

10 or even 5 years ago, I would have said Kimber but times change and it seems as though Colt has reemerged as a 1911 worth buying.

For the longest time I feared Colt was following the path of the Indian motorcycle company. Focusing on Government work to the exclusion of the civilian market base and riding the Government Cheese right into insolvency.

I'm very happy to see them once again producing quality pistols that the public actually wants to buy!

And for the record CANE, I named my Colt Ireene. How's that for a Girls name!

Tack
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,635
Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1

I'm sorry...but I think you're wrong. Therefore we shall agree to disagree. I won't disagree that "no MIM" is better, but I will not agree that MIM is junk. Kimbers overseas lowest bidder MIM may be junk, but Colt's, made is USA by Colt, MIM is not junk.
What is mim n I ordered a colt xse
Ultimate_sig is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jca1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: R.R.,NC
Posts: 1,464
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

It is injection molded metal basically. It's a way to make parts to exact dimensions. It is used in the automotive industry, aerospace industry, pretty much every industry that uses metal. Just like everything it can be made crummy or great. Colt makes it great, you have no worries. Don't listen to anyone that says a Colt needs all new parts, or that Colt MIM is junk, or that Colt is junk, because they're mis-informed.

Colt uses two MIM parts in their pistols. S&W uses more than that, so does Springfield Armory, kimber, etc.
__________________
[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/
jca1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleshooter474's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 245
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

There was a great video of the Mfg. of the Colt 1911, sadly it has been removed I watched it and saw a lot of real hand work being done on the handguns. I feel Colt is really taking quality as something they want to be noticed again.
Mine sure show this new quality.
Im going to buy a new 1911 but I need help, kimber or colt - 1911 Forum
rifleshooter474 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
It is injection molded metal basically. It's a way to make parts to exact dimensions. It is used in the automotive industry, aerospace industry, pretty much every industry that uses metal. Just like everything it can be made crummy or great. Colt makes it great, you have no worries. Don't listen to anyone that says a Colt needs all new parts, or that Colt MIM is junk, or that Colt is junk, because they're mis-informed.

Colt uses two MIM parts in their pistols. S&W uses more than that, so does Springfield Armory, kimber, etc.
MIM parts are inferior to machined or even cast parts, this is not up for discussion, it is a fact that MIM have to be replaced eventually. Machined parts last a lifetime. Do not get me wrong, I like Colt 1911's, they are well built, I own a few Colt weapons (none of which are 1911's, b/c I can get a 1911 that has NO MIM parts for the price of a Colt with replacing the MIM parts). Like I said before, if were going to use it as a plinker or target practice, MIM is fine, I can replace it WHEN it DOES break, but if I were using it for self defense, I just cannot trust a MIM part. I will not bet my life on it. I have friends that carry 1911 on duty and they would not trust a MIM part. Take a MIM part and put it on an anvil next to a machined part, the exact same parts even....hit them with a small ball peen hammer and see....MIM cracks like plastic, machined part will take a beating and keep on ticking. Some people do not care about MIM parts, but if my life depends on it...NO MIM for me. My life is worth everything and I am not placing my life on the line to "hope" the MIM doesn't break when I need my firearm to work. I wouldn't even use a weapon with MIM parts if I were in a competition, I shoot competition to win, not to lose b/c of a MIM malfunction.

MIM parts are proven to be inferior to Machined parts. Now the argument of this companies MIM is the better...it is still MIM and not a "real" Metal part. Otherwise, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Les Baer and all the other nice firearms manufacturers would use MIM. MIM is way to cut cost, not make a part better.
esc2820 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
It is injection molded metal basically. It's a way to make parts to exact dimensions. It is used in the automotive industry, aerospace industry, pretty much every industry that uses metal. Just like everything it can be made crummy or great. Colt makes it great, you have no worries. Don't listen to anyone that says a Colt needs all new parts, or that Colt MIM is junk, or that Colt is junk, because they're mis-informed.

Colt uses two MIM parts in their pistols. S&W uses more than that, so does Springfield Armory, kimber, etc.
Colt has 4 MIM parts which are the following: Magazine Catch, Mag Catch Lock, Sear, Disconnector....to me I wouldn't want a MIM Sear, that could lead to accidental discharge or even death, the other parts...I really wouldn't want MIM either.

Colt also has Molded Nylon in the Mainspring housing in the '91 80 Series.
esc2820 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rigjumpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 1,004
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

It’s sad that the process such a MIM has such a bad stigma attached to it because of dare I say the internet?
__________________
Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649
rigjumpr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Pic of my colt and my kimber tenntyrant 1911 Forum 4 03-18-2012 06:09 AM
Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber touchmyg1ock 1911 Forum 49 03-02-2012 05:28 PM
Colt vs Kimber ShagNasty1001 1911 Forum 16 01-12-2012 06:15 PM
Colt or Kimber? if you uwn one....... eborden1122 1911 Forum 34 07-19-2011 04:49 PM
Kimber and Colt katsumushi 1911 Forum 7 03-30-2010 02:14 AM



Newest Threads