Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I'm Feeling The Need for a 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great prices! Have you looked at other high-end 1911s, such as Nighthawk, Les Baer, or Ed Brown?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #22

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Great prices! Have you looked at other high-end 1911s, such as Nighthawk, Les Baer, or Ed Brown?
No, I've only had the oppertunity to shoot the Kimber, Springfield, Colt, S&W, and Wilson Combat brands.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-30-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #23

In my opinion, you owe it to yourself to try others. That is serious money for a single pistol. You could probably get two from the manufacturers you listed for the price of that single Wilson.

Also, no doubt that Wilson has been making great 1911s for quite a while, but you could get a Nighthawk (check their website) for almost the same, or even Ed Brown.

You might also want to look at a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special for less....and have lots of cash left over for leather and ammo! The Baer TRS is an amazing shooter....and I've shot many 1911s....the Baer is right up there with the best.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #24

Quote:
In my opinion, you owe it to yourself to try others. That is serious money for a single pistol. You could probably get two from the manufacturers you listed for the price of that single Wilson.

Also, no doubt that Wilson has been making great 1911s for quite a while, but you could get a Nighthawk (check their website) for almost the same, or even Ed Brown.

You might also want to look at a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special for less....and have lots of cash left over for leather and ammo! The Baer TRS is an amazing shooter....and I've shot many 1911s....the Baer is right up there with the best.
Thanks for info on other 1911's to look at. I found a dealer for Nighthawk in Turlock California. About 1-1/2 hour dirve from here. It appears that Ed Brown sells direct only and I'm not sure if Les Baer has dealers or not. The friend that let me shoot his 1911's thinks his friend close by has an Ed Brown 1911 and he'll call back if he does. I'll get to shoot it then before I decide what I'll buy.

So far the Wilson is looking good though.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #25

I bought my Baer at a big gun shop in Texas, so I know there are dealers. I bought the Ed Brown from a licensed dealer who operates only out of his home or at gun shows, so I can't speak to the EB distribution.

That's the same guy I bought both of my Nighthawks from, so I don't know about their distribution, but I BELIEVE the best bet is to go to Nighthawk directly (although Dillinger, our resident Nighthawk expert, will know better than me).

If you have someone within a reasonable drive who you know has a Nighthawk available, it might be worth the drive. Might be good to know which model it is....don't know if you prefer a government-size frame or not, and the model would tell us what size it is.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #26

Quote:
I bought my Baer at a big gun shop in Texas, so I know there are dealers. I bought the Ed Brown from a licensed dealer who operates only out of his home or at gun shows, so I can't speak to the EB distribution.

That's the same guy I bought both of my Nighthawks from, so I don't know about their distribution, but I BELIEVE the best bet is to go to Nighthawk directly (although Dillinger, our resident Nighthawk expert, will know better than me).

If you have someone within a reasonable drive who you know has a Nighthawk available, it might be worth the drive. Might be good to know which model it is....don't know if you prefer a government-size frame or not, and the model would tell us what size it is.
I perfer the government size frame with full length barrel. My buddy called back just a few minuets ago and I'll be getting my hands on an Ed Brown 1911 next weekend for some range time.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #27

Well, let us know how it turns out!