Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   I'm Feeling The Need for a 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/im-feeling-need-1911-a-23641/)

mrm14 02-20-2010 11:07 PM

I'm Feeling The Need for a 1911

O.K. I've been milling over getting a 1911 for about 2 years now. It didn't happen last year due to the build of my target rifle. It didn't happen the year before due to a spendy trap and skeet O/U shotgun I absolutely had to have.

This year, after April, by god, I got to get a 1911.

I've narrowed down my choices for a 1911 to the Kimber Gold Match Stainless in .45 ACP and the Springfield Trophy Match Stainless in .45 ACP.

For those of you on this forum who know both of these 1911 brand pistols well, and I know theres more than a couple of you, I would like to know the comparative pro's and con's of each of these 1911 pistol brands if any.

I have .41 mag. and .44 mag revolvers and thats all I've shot most of my life when it comes to pistols. Except for back in the 1970's when my brother had a Colt 1911. At that time I couldnt hit the broad side of a 20 foot barn door at 5 feet with any kind of pistol. Since then I've become a tad more than fairly proficient with the revolvers.

Anyhow, I would like comparative info from those in the know of the Kimber and Springfield 1911's because I cant decide between the two yet and it's driving me nuts.

NGIB 02-20-2010 11:29 PM

I have a 1st generation Kimber Gold Match (circa 97) and a Springer Legend TGO. Both are fine guns and will do what they're supposed to do. You're comparing very similar products so about all that we can offer are opinions.

Personally, I favor Springer over Kimber - all else being equal. No real reason but as I said, it's opinion...

canebrake 02-21-2010 02:07 PM

Colt Gold Cup National Match

Hard to beat at ~ $900!

Ozark Guns, Colt Gold Cup National Match

Ozark Guns, Gold Cup SS Photos

Road_Hogg2XL 02-21-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 233448)
O.K. I've been milling over getting a 1911 for about 2 years now. It didn't happen last year due to the build of my target rifle. It didn't happen the year before due to a spendy trap and skeet O/U shotgun I absolutely had to have.

This year, after April, by god, I got to get a 1911.

I've narrowed down my choices for a 1911 to the Kimber Gold Match Stainless in .45 ACP and the Springfield Trophy Match Stainless in .45 ACP.

For those of you on this forum who know both of these 1911 brand pistols well, and I know theres more than a couple of you, I would like to know the comparative pro's and con's of each of these 1911 pistol brands if any.

I have .41 mag. and .44 mag revolvers and thats all I've shot most of my life when it comes to pistols. Except for back in the 1970's when my brother had a Colt 1911. At that time I couldnt hit the broad side of a 20 foot barn door at 5 feet with any kind of pistol. Since then I've become a tad more than fairly proficient with the revolvers.

Anyhow, I would like comparative info from those in the know of the Kimber and Springfield 1911's because I cant decide between the two yet and it's driving me nuts.

I have 3 Kimbers, they are all very nice and shoot well! I got something on one (a solvent) that removed the bluing on the slide. The Factory Service was just great! My pistols are all very easy to shoot and are accurate.

Dillinger 02-21-2010 04:02 PM

You have one the most complete collections of kick ass M14's on the Interwebz and you don't own a 1911?!?! :eek:

Blasphemy!!

You are hearby banned from posting until you add one to your arsenal.

Get out to the gun store and do the right thing. :p

JD

riggergreg 02-21-2010 06:34 PM

Get either one. Won't matter. Once you have one, you'll have to get another anyway:D

mrm14 02-22-2010 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 233931)
You have one the most complete collections of kick ass M14's on the Interwebz and you don't own a 1911?!?! :eek:

Blasphemy!!

You are hearby banned from posting until you add one to your arsenal.

Get out to the gun store and do the right thing. :p

JD

JD give a brother a break here. I want your input on the Kimber VS the Springfield 1911 in the models I've narrowed it down to. I know their very close and I'm going nuts trying to decide. Also, whats your thoughts on the Colt Gold cup National Match Cane suggested. PM me if you have to. My sanity is at stake here and if you havn't figured it out yet I'm very loosely glued togeather mentally as it is. :D

BTW M14's Rock has alot more M-14/M1A's than I do. I have only one up and running now.

CA357 02-22-2010 04:53 AM

I've never owned a Kimber and my only Colt right now is a 1927 Sistema, so no help there. I had a Springfield Mil Spec and loved it.

NGIB 02-22-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 234354)
JD give a brother a break here. I want your input on the Kimber VS the Springfield 1911 in the models I've narrowed it down to. I know their very close and I'm going nuts trying to decide. Also, whats your thoughts on the Colt Gold cup National Match Cane suggested. PM me if you have to. My sanity is at stake here and if you havn't figured it out yet I'm very loosely glued togeather mentally as it is. :D

BTW M14's Rock has alot more M-14/M1A's than I do. I have only one up and running now.

I've owned a Colt Gold Cup NM as well, another very nice target grade 1911. You can't go wrong with any of the three so make the leap. My flagship is a Springer Legend TGO and as I said - I'm partial to Springers...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j.../IMG_TGO-X.jpg

Dillinger 02-22-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 234354)

That's right! I get you dog legged op rod guys confused. LOL

Hmm, have to do some research as I am not overly familiar with any of the models listed. Glancing information and pawing at best in my background on these models.

Between Kimber and Springfield, I think they are pretty much an even money crap shoot at the moment for their production guns. If you go into their custom shops, then you get different options with different price tags assigned and that is where the rubber meets the road.

I will do some research and see what I find out for you.

JD