Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > ILS in Springers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default ILS in Springers

I'm sure most everyone knows that Springer 1911s have an internal locking system located in the mainspring housing. While the lock really doesn't bother me at all it does cause one problem so I always change them out. The internals of the MSH of ILS Springers is different and you can't use regular mainsprings. I generally run 19# mainsprings in all of mine as the stock 23# just aren't necessary. This is really important if you use a rimfire conversion kit as with the lighter mainspring, it'll be less ammo picky.

Anyway, if you decide you want to change the MSH on your Springer, remember to buy the internals (cap, plunger, retaining pin, and new mainspring) as the Springer ILS internals won't work in a stock MSH...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Im not a smith at all but was thinking about getting the Kimber conversion kit for my Springer. Do you think i may have several issues with this? You always seem to have a good answer and i really appreciate it. Eye

Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badeye View Post
Im not a smith at all but was thinking about getting the Kimber conversion kit for my Springer. Do you think i may have several issues with this? You always seem to have a good answer and i really appreciate it. Eye
It's always possible. I ran my Kimber kit on a Kimber Tactical Pro (really made a cool - but VERY expensive .22). It would shoot CCI Minimags great but regular bulk ammo had a few problems. Switching to the 19# mainspring removed these problems and the gun became very reliable with bulk .22 ammo.

Remember, the ammo has to "fight" the recoil spring as well as the mainspring (to cock the hammer). The swap is very easy to do and no special tools are required. One trick I always use when swapping MSHs is to use a zip tie or large rubber band to hold the grip safety engaged tightly. By doing this, the sear spring wont move around when you change the housing avoiding another potential problem...

Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #4

AS always,thanks for the advice......that Kimber conv is just a nice looking unit and i dont think i can go thru life much longer without it....lol. Eye

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badeye View Post
AS always,thanks for the advice......that Kimber conv is just a nice looking unit and i dont think i can go thru life much longer without it....lol. Eye
The newer Kimber units (mine was) are actually made by Kimber. The older ones were relabled Cieners...

Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #6

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great info Dave!

I don't think you will find that quality of info in your model's manual!

Gentlemen, this is what FTF is all about!

Thanks NGIB

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #7

Glad to help.

The benefit of trading lots of guns is I get hands-on experience with them. I really try to help folks avoid the mistakes I made, especially with home gunsmithing. The first MSH I changed, I didn't secure the grip safety and the sear spring moved a little without my knowledge. About 3 days later I had this 1911 at the bowling pin shoot and the trigger locked up during the event - lesson learned...

Old 08-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the post. This will help out lots of members.

Newest Threads