If you want to know which 1911 to buy....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > If you want to know which 1911 to buy....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3106 Times on 1785 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Default If you want to know which 1911 to buy....

I would suggest that you first read the sticky by Cane on buying your first 1911.

Then apply this logic:

I have "X" amount of dollars. What car should I buy? I am looking for one with four tires (plus a fifth as spare), has a running motor, good brakes, good fuel economy, 4 doors, a trunk, and can keep up with freeway speeds.

Now most will say that I have to go around and look at what dealers have to offer and take test drives.

Asking which 1911 to buy from people on a forum is basically the same.

I suggest that you drive a few miles and check out the local gun stores in your area (and don't be afraid to drive a couple hundred miles).

This way, you make the decision on what you feel is the best for you.

My opinion is that everyone should buy at least one from a custom gun smith. We have enough unemployment here as it is and I don't want my hard earned money to support Phillipines or other foreign manufacturers without investing here first.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Listen to dan.^^

If you ask me I will say Colt 99.99% of the time. If you buy the Colt based on my recommendation you will be wearing my gun on your hip.

If the 1911 you're looking for is to be used as a PD gun, why would you buy what is suggested without assessment? When it comes to your life, I would think your choice would be far more important than someone's suggestion. It does so for me!

Do your homework, study your options and test drive those suggestions you solicited and found interesting/fitting to the task you will ask the gun to preform.

If you have/discover additional questions, ask them! Your chances of having an original issue in this process are ZIP, nada, nill..... Someone on this forum has hit that pothole before you, made the repairs and spent good money chasing bad ideas long before you came up with the thought.

Take advantage of our crucible of experience & knowledge. Tap into it and let us share. I could take weeks telling you what not to do to a 1911 saving you thousands of dollars. I'm sure there are several others here that could save you much more.

It's why we're here. (God I wish we had interwebz back when I knew everything!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #3

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

or you could buy a gun you know will perform right out of the box no break in period no worries.GLOCK

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #4

Liked 244 Times on 180 Posts

I hear what your saying and I don't disagree at all. To buy here at home is a good thing that's why I took a chance on hi point, and it functioned well I bought 2more.i have several guns made in the good ole USA. Hi standard, marlin, colt, Mossberg maybe more. And even though my budget for guns is self imposed I just can't bring myself to spend the kind of money to buy a custom 1911 that I don't believe would be any better than my rock island. My Dad has a beautiful Crome colt 1911 WWll commemorative. It have never been out of its case except for I little cleaning. That's not for me. I drive my cars, haul in my trucks, and shoot my guns. And I would rather buy three guns to shoot instead of one to show.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #5

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Listen to dan.^^

If you ask me I will say Colt 99.99% of the time. If you buy the Colt based on my recommendation you will be wearing my gun on your hip.

If the 1911 you're looking for is to be used as a PD gun, why would you buy what is suggested without assessment? When it comes to your life, I would think your choice would be far more important than someone's suggestion. It does so for me!

Do your homework, study your options and test drive those suggestions you solicited and found interesting/fitting to the task you will ask the gun to preform.

If you have/discover additional questions, ask them! Your chances of having an original issue in this process are ZIP, nada, nill..... Someone on this forum has hit that pothole before you, made the repairs and spent good money chasing bad ideas long before you came up with the thought.

Take advantage of our crucible of experience & knowledge. Tap into it and let us share. I could take weeks telling you what not to do to a 1911 saving you thousands of dollars. I'm sure there are several others here that could save you much more.

It's why we're here. (God I wish we had interwebz back when I knew everything!)
cane i am very pleased with my colt i just bought...i love it, it is gorgeous in every aspect. The xse feels like it was put together tightly, and fires differently than my sig. I couldnt explain the feeling i had when i shot it except tell me where to shot and the bullet is there. Alot of people down colt and say many are better but id go aginst a wilson combat any day. I did notice though the xse seemed more powerful than my sig. I saw more fire and saw a kinda ring of fire. Is it just me or is the colt actually more powerful

Old 05-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
cane i am very pleased with my colt i just bought...i love it, it is gorgeous in every aspect. The xse feels like it was put together tightly, and fires differently than my sig. I couldnt explain the feeling i had when i shot it except tell me where to shot and the bullet is there. Alot of people down colt and say many are better but id go aginst a wilson combat any day. I did notice though the xse seemed more powerful than my sig. I saw more fire and saw a kinda ring of fire. Is it just me or is the colt actually more powerful
It's just that John Browning is sitting on your strong-side shoulder.

Did you change ammo?

MAGTECH seems to belch fire more than others.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #7

No, i shot federal and remington. My friend noticed it to. He watched from outside the range in the lobby and i came out i didnt say anything cause i thought it was just me but then he said man that colt looked alot more powerful than your sig...he said said he saw a ring of fire. I heard that colt was putting the old school quality back into there pistols but just thought it was a rumor. I wish you were in thr area so i could show you. I could go on all day about this pistol, n yea it may be posessed by his spirt...this pistol will be apart of the family

Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree. there are those who go out and buy anew 1911, get it home than want to take it apart and start adding new parts. with the exception of new grips or sights, i just don't the logic of why, when likely they will not gain enough in any part of accuracy or reliablity to make what was spent worth it. IMO, better to spend a few bucks more and get the pistol with the features you want from the start. with all the makers and builders of 1911's out there and all the variations of them, there is one out there that has what you want already there at a price you can afford if you shop around.

looking for the first 1911? yes read the stickey by Cane. lots of information and good advice. would be good for us old-timers as well to go back and read it from time to time to refresh our memories!

the 1911 is classic and timeless, a proven performer that will be around for many more years to come. with it's different configurations and styles, it canbe any pistol you need it to be.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7792 Times on 4679 Posts
Likes Given: 9792

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Listen to dan.^^

So if I do buy a Colt 1911 then I also get your BBQ gun???? Because you know I want your gun.

Seriously, I would love to own a Colt 1911 some day......and a S&W revolver. I just need to come up with the $$. Maybe someday..............*stares off and dreams*

Old 05-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

So if I do buy a Colt 1911 then I also get your BBQ gun???? Because you know I want your gun.

Seriously, I would love to own a Colt 1911 some day......and a S&W revolver. I just need to come up with the $$. Maybe someday..............*stares off and dreams*
Hey man im not rich go to gunbuyingclub.com i bought mine for $874. It came strate from coly and i only waited 2 months compared to 6-18 months. I did pay tax and ffl transfer but i didnt mind knowing that someone who knee thry didnt have the money dry firing it in a shop. I like the simple things in life like knowing only 2 people had there mits on my colt: they guy who made it and me