Identify this mag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Identify this mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Identify this mag

Hey everyone,
Picked up my beautiful Colt 1911 Rail Gun and with it came two 8 round magazines and I'm trying to determine if I have wadcutters or hybrid mags. I think wadcutter.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Patent US6560907 - Cartridge magazine system - Google Patents

Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I think you may find that to be a Check Mate mag with their "Hybrid" feed lips. However, they would normally have their logo stamped on the side and/or bottom.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I think it's a checkmate mag because there is a little "c" on the base of the magazine, top right corner. The patent numbers don't help me because based on pictures the hybrid and wadcutters have the same patent number written on them.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I think that patent number would be just for the follower & I don't know if they make their own followers, or buy them out. The lips appear to be their Hybrid lips. The Check Mates I have all have a 'Knight' chess piece as an emblem on the side of the tube or on the bottom plate.

If yours doesn't have the emblem, maybe it could be a GI issue mag?? I'm not sure how to identify them & I am told there are fakes out on the market.

Last edited by gollygee; 01-22-2012 at 07:45 PM.