Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I thought detonics were gone....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default I thought detonics were gone....

Guess not!! Nemesis : Detonics

I'm not sure if they are ugly OR sexy.....

Anyone have info on these?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

I thought they went out business sometime in the early 90's? Guess not.

I remember looking at the Combat Master and I thought there was another model called the Safari or something. Were they the ones with the funky finger shelf thingy as part of the frame on the front strap?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2614 Times on 1522 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The name was purchased lately. I have not seen any to be able to have an opinion yet, but the older ones were okay.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Safari Arms 1911 frame with the finger thing is part of Olympic Arms...that's a clue as to quality !

Detonics made in Bellevue, Washington were first class 1911's.

New Detonics and it's other ownership were remnats of the old designs made as cheaply as possible and way over priced compared to today's 1911 offerings.

You just cant cut quality and raise the price....shooters figured it out.

Detonics original designed "Sid" had some innovative ideas in the pistols that were never modernized.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

the original company was more about selling an image than making good guns. thats why they tanked. it was all hype little substance.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think J.D. will be ALL OVER these!!

nemesis1.jpg   cme2.jpg  

Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I kind of like the look of the gun, but until I can take one apart and see how well it's made, I am not going to be rushing out to purchase one.

I do like the grips on that 5" though, those look kinda of cool and I do like the name Nemisis ( plus 14+1 is a good thing in .45 ACP - IF your hand can wrap it).

JD

Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The Detonics Nemesis series 1911’s are the epitome of combat precision. The line has been designed with many features standard, not seen on any other high capacity 1911 to date. Like the Combat Master Evolution, the Nemesis series utilizes the Octagonal Sighting System, that not only reduces felt recoil, but can also help to speed follow-up shots. By mounting the front sight directly to the barrel, the movement of the front sight is minimized, allowing for faster, more accurate follow-up shots.

Standard Features of the Detonics Nemesis 1911’s Include:

■Highly aggressive slide serrations for increased ability to chamber a round under the harshest conditions.
■Fluted slide reduces weight and felt recoil.
■Lowered and flared ejection port for greater reliability of ejection.
■Undercut trigger guard to allow for a higher grip which reduces felt recoil and allows for greater control.
■Aggressive front and rear strap serrations for greater control of the firearm under the harshest conditions.
■Extended manual controls including: thumb safety, magazine release, and slide lock.
■Accessory rail for mounting weapon lights and/or lasers.
■Over-sized magazine well to speed reloads under stress.
■Calibers: .45acp, .40 S&W
■Capacity: 14+1 (.45acp), 18+1 (.40 S&W)
■Frame: 4140 Carbon Steel
■Slide: 4140 Carbon Steel
■Finish: Cerakote™
■Trigger Pull Weight: 4.5lbs
■Length: 8.75in
■Width: 1.285 in
■Barrel Length: 5.00in
■Height: 5.25in
■Weight: 38oz unloaded 48oz, loaded
■Magazine: Stainless Steel
Undercut for better grip-check
Cerakote finish-check
Steel and more steel -check

I like it,alot.

Did anyone notice the barrel? They aren't round. Looks like a weapon the transformers carry.

http://detonics.ws/innovations/oss/ This explains the octagonal sighting system.

I wonder how much $$$

Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the original company was more about selling an image than making good guns. thats why they tanked. it was all hype little substance.
The original Detonics were actually very good guns. But when Colt introduced the Government and Officer's Models in Stainless it sunk Detonics. No possible way to compete with the big budget of Colt. The Score Master and Combat Master had bushingless coned barrels almost 30 years ago. Combat Masters were the original compact .45. 35 years later many are still going strong, and every one I see is in decent shape. I've owned several and all were great. The Score Master was the Nighthawk of it's day. I carried a Service Master for a couple of years and never broke a part, or had a malfunction.

After the original Detonics went belly up, Robbie Barkman (Robar) became the operations manager for the new owner, and they started making the New Detonics pistols. The early ones followed in the footsteps of the original Detonics.

They have re-emerged a couple more times since then, and if well funded will probably do just fine this time.

Detonics had some really innovative 8 rd mags with round followers several years before Metalform came out with their excellent mags. I still have several of the original Detonics mags, and they work as well now as they did when I got them 24 years ago. Back then they were $40each.

I will keep an eye on Detonics in their new iteration. They could be quite good.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 AM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It looks Austrian, I'm not convinced yet. I see they stretched the sight radius back to normal and did away with that stupid hammer/thumb clearance machining.

2009 Detonics SHOT Show Brochure

The Detonics DTX

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello