I need help finding the 1911 I want.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I need help finding the 1911 I want.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default I need help finding the 1911 I want.

I'm looking into getting a 1911 for edcc. The problem is that the only one I've found that i like enough to dump some cash into is $1400. I picked up the s&w e series. It's the commander size and has the rounded main spring housing. It's absolutely beautiful, but I can't bring myself to wear a piece of gold like that. I'm fine with a cheaper version but I can't find any of the lesser valued brands out there in the same size with the round butt. Maybe I haven't looked in the right places. I had also thought of just replacing the main spring housing, but I'm not real edumakated when comes to 1911 customization. I don't know if it's just that easy or if there's more to it, nor how much it would cost me. I'm looking to take something home around $500. I know that I'm not going to by a Kimber or anything like that for the price range, but that's fine as long as it's functional and trustworthy. I don't mind Rock Island etc. Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

First question, by "rounded" do you mean arched, or a bobbed frame?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Its a round heel that he's talking about

Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok. Yeah. That's what I mean. Alright, so I'm virtually mentally handicapped in 1911 talk, but operating them a different scene. But if you look up the e series you'll see exactly what I'm after.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2725 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
First question, by "rounded" do you mean arched, or a bobbed frame?
Unless I'm very mistaken, it's a bobbed frame. There is no E series (that I can find) with the 1911A1 style arched mainspring housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeThis View Post
I'm looking into getting a 1911 for edcc. The problem is that the only one I've found that i like enough to dump some cash into is $1400. I picked up the s&w e series. It's the commander size and has the rounded main spring housing. It's absolutely beautiful, but I can't bring myself to wear a piece of gold like that. I'm fine with a cheaper version but I can't find any of the lesser valued brands out there in the same size with the round butt. Maybe I haven't looked in the right places. I had also thought of just replacing the main spring housing, but I'm not real edumakated when comes to 1911 customization. I don't know if it's just that easy or if there's more to it, nor how much it would cost me. I'm looking to take something home around $500. I know that I'm not going to by a Kimber or anything like that for the price range, but that's fine as long as it's functional and trustworthy. I don't mind Rock Island etc. Thanks for your help.
First, I think you should just suck it up and carry the S&W. That's what it was made for (I'm assuming bobbed, scandium frame). IMHO, if there's one gun in your stable that you don't want to scrimp on, it's the one your betting your life on.
By the time you hunt down a moderately priced 1911 as a starting point and sink money into mods, you'll have a fairly pricey gun in it's own right. FYI: the bobbed frame is a rather involved mod that requires a fair bit of skill to do well. As do mods to any critical part of a 1911. FWIW, I would steer you toward an STI Spartan IV if you wish go forward with this. http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-iv/ The Spartan is Rock Islands American Cousin. An ARMSCOR (Rock Island) frame & Slide w/ STI internals. Run the numbers with a good gunsmith and see if it's worth it.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 871 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 81

My Rock Island 45ACP match 1911 shoots as good as my Colt Gold cup. It is a great and dependable gun. I shoot mine a lot.
Also the Armscor ammo is a good deal and shoots great. NO hangs.
You can buy a RI in the $500 range.
dscn0575.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2781 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Have you looked at auctions sites?
There are some deals to be had there.

Also, (cough, cough) you could look at (cough, cough) the (cough) Kimber (cough) website: http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/super-carry

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #8

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You can buy any standard 1911 and take it to a gunsmith to have the frame bobbed to get that "rounded" look like you like on the Smith. The bobtail is getting more and more popular, but as of right now there are no budget models with a bobbed frame.

Here is a before and after of an inexpensive Metro Arms American Classic Commander that I bought and had customized. I had the frame bobbed like you seem to want.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52964

the RIA and American Classics have a Commander and Officer sized models that are truly awesome. i have an AC Commander that is very accurate and very reliable. problem is, they don't currently offer them right now with a bobbed frame. but you might look into getting one and having a gunsmith alter the frame to make it into a bobbed one. also look into the Colt Defender line as well. sometimes these can be bought reasonably as well.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I too have an American classic commander. It fits in your price range and is a great gun.