I must be missing something
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I must be missing something

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default I must be missing something

I have my first 1911, didn't go looking for it but got it in a trade. After taking it apart and giving it a good clean and lube I spent some range time with it. On this site I have seen just about every hand gun bashed, except the 1911. It must be because of history because I am not impressed. Field stripping it is a pain, it's heavy and feels "clunky". I don't get why so many folks will bash Glocks but the 1911 platform seems to be off limits. Give me a Glock or Ruger SRc any day, (heck I like my commie block CZ52 better) the 1911 will be looking for a new home.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Two things...

It DOES get bashed. You just don't see us 1911 disciples getting our drawers too bunched up over it like the GLOCK fanboys do. (Notice I didn't say panties. 1911 men don't wear panties like those other guys...)

And, what make, model, and price?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
I have my first 1911, didn't go looking for it but got it in a trade. After taking it apart and giving it a good clean and lube I spent some range time with it. On this site I have seen just about every hand gun bashed, except the 1911. It must be because of history because I am not impressed. Field stripping it is a pain, it's heavy and feels "clunky". I don't get why so many folks will bash Glocks but the 1911 platform seems to be off limits. Give me a Glock or Ruger SRc any day, (heck I like my commie block CZ52 better) the 1911 will be looking for a new home.
You are obviously missing something

Old 01-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Come on now, you own a 1911?? You think a CZ-52 is a better weapon? With that kind of reasoning you could easily qualify for a Civil service job.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

images.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1771 Times on 1217 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Quote:
thdrduck
Before making comments. I'd like to know what make/model/condition you got there. Not all 1911's are equal. Also which part of the takedown gave you trouble.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Before making comments. I'd like to know what make/model/condition you got there. Not all 1911's are equal. Also which part of the takedown gave you trouble.
Hey, let's be honest and call a spade a spade here. I LOVE the 1911. But the take down.... Good grief.

I hate putting my hands all over the muzzle, so I've stopped. I pull the slide back far enough to push out the slide stop, and make sure I control the spring as I slide the whole top half off. I reassemble the same way.

But, that's the only issue that's bothered me personally.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #8

Liked 2114 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 459

The 1911 is not the be-all, end-all in handgun design.

The outstanding features of the 1911 in basic design come largely from what it is, compared to the time it was made. A handgun that held a heavy cartridge for the day, yet fit a majority of hands. Ergonomics were considered when they had been largely considered in a secondary fashion in other handguns of the time. The controls are well located to be used with one hand. While the pistol has some extra parts compared to modern pistols today, it could be entirely detail stripped using only the parts of the pistol itself. Browning went on to eliminate the swinging barrel link, barrel bushing, and grip safety when he developed the P35, better known as the hi-power. The 1911 was designed to feed FMJ and it does this well in most models, more modern versions have made some changes to make them more ammo tolerant for HP rounds. The short travel of the trigger and ability to work a trigger into a smooth, crisp, light trigger makes them popular as competition guns. The bore axis is fairly low for a pistol of the time. This makes recoil control and follow up shots fairly easy for the caliber.

Handguns continued to evolve, but many of the modern developments still are rooted in the ergonomics, point ability, field serviceability that were pioneered and combined originally in the 1911. Even Browning didn't stop there, and continued to try to streamline the combination of concepts. But in a day of manual fitting, and manpower driven production, it is still an outstanding handgun to come out of the time.

As a .45 caliber firearm, there are still few that fit as well, point as naturally, and offer the crisp trigger possibilities.

As someone else indicated, impressions can be influenced by what level of 1911 a shooter first experiences. Many manufacturers have made copies. Quality of parts, materials, and the fitting of those parts varies widely from the low end of the spectrum to the high end. Triggers can be longer in travel, they can be mushy, they may have excessive over travel. The grips may be fat and smooth, which can change feel, fit, and ability to actually grip the gun. Controls, like the safety and slide catch may also be mushy compared to well fitted pieces. Slide to frame fit may be sloppy, or uneven, and engagement surfaces may not have had the time and effort invested to give them the polished, glassy smooth, yet tight feel of higher end pistols that get hand hammered and stoned, and polished in to exact, smooth fitting surfaces. Barrel bushing to slide, and bushing to barrel fitting may not be a precise to aid in overall accuracy. Cheaper guns use parts on the more generous end of the fitting scale of specifications. This gives easier to attain reliable function, but sacrifices some of the crafted feel, crispness, tightness, and accuracy that can be balanced by a craftsman, but adds time and expense to production.

This can be why a 1911 is more of a "enthusiasts pistol" than just a mainstream pistol. The ones the real "fans" like are usually examples on the high end. But the "average shooter" who just wants a good affordable gun that will work reliably, put rounds in a reasonable group at short distances inside 25 yds, and do it at a highly competitive price, may indeed get examples that don't really shine above more modern guns. A good 1911 that will start to exhibit some of the more sought after qualities right out of the box are going to start in the $1000 plus range. Other 1911 "fans" like the basic qualities that made the original what it was in its day. Yet other "fans" have felt high end guns, but can't affoardable one right off the bat. But, they know they can take a basic 1911 and over time, turn it into a more refined version.

So some folks like them for what they were. Some folks like them for what they are. Others like them for what they can be. Other folks just don't like them.

Doesn't hurt anybody for folks to have a preference. Lots of good guns out there to choose from.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really love my Sigs, but the 1911 is first on my list. My Ed Brown comes first!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

trolling is naughty

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Closed Thread