I messed up. Need help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I messed up. Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Default I messed up. Need help

Well, I posted about the Rock Island tactical 2011 VZ grips I purchased. It came yesterday from Buds Gun shop. I went to the local shop, and they were giving me tons of crap trying to get it. I noticed when I glanced over it it had tritium night sights in it, which I really don't mind, even though I prefer the fiber optic front and 2 dot fully adjustable rear. Also, the rock Island logo wasn't running down the slide like it's supposed to. It had one small logo in frontof the hammer on the slide. Not a big deal. Everything else looked ok. Well, I signed for it and took off out the door, got home to clean it and realize WTF,this isn't even the right slide. The 2011 VZ grips version has a full length bottom rail (which it does have), and front slide serrations which it didn't have, the fiber optic fully ADJUSTABLE 2 dot rear, and the logo down the side. I don't want this gun. Also, I broke a damn grip screw right off by only hand tightening it down. I mean there was barely any torque at all on it. Sheared right off. My question is this: am I screwed because I signed for it already? Also, there's a small gap between the barrel and the opening on the slide (ejection port). Definitely doesn't look normal. Also my. 45 can brush would barely touch the inside walls of the barrel when I tried to clean her. WTF? What should I do? I contacted buds gun shop, but I kind of feel like they are going to tell me to jump off a bridge. I can't literally disassemble the whole gun on the counter to Check every little part. And I didn't notice the few things that were off with it until I got home. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Pictures attached

20140415_181232.jpg   20140415_181241.jpg   20140416_085153.jpg   20140416_085324.jpg   20140416_085350.jpg  

20140416_085607.jpg   20140416_085618.jpg   20140416_085641.jpg   20140415_171912.jpg  

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Defective screws and problematic barrel is manufacturer issue. Contact their cs for this stuff.

Its one of the dangers of buying online and buying from low end maker. Odds are much higher of getting lemons. They are cheap for a reason.

This doesn't mean all guns made from low end makers are bad and all high end guns are good out the door ( I shouldn't have to explain that but I do as there will still be angst over my opinion...)

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

therukh Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Dahamp, I am unclear if Bud's sent a gun you did not order, or if you mistakenly ordered the wrong gun. If Bud's messed up, they should make it right. If they don't, there are plenty of ways to pressure them to do the right thing. Better Business Bureau, State's Attorney General and any consumer organization Bud's belongs to. If you accidentally ordered the wrong gun, then I would very politely ask Bud's to credit the value of the gun to the purchase of a new one when I return it.

As far as the broken parts, don't send it to the factory for repairs until you decide to keep it. You should solve the problem with Bud's as soon as possible after the sale. The longer it goes, the more likely Bud's won't work with you. It's more likely they won't take it back the more work you do on it.

When talking to any retailer, be honest and ask directly for what you want. If you want a refund, ask for it. If it's an exchange, explain why the previous order was wrong and specify exactly which gun you want and how you want to exchange it. An employee won't always offer to do the right thing and sometimes you have to push for what you want. Be persistent and calm. The squeaky wheel gets greased!

And if your local gun shop gives you grief when doing a transfer, drive farther to a different shop. It's possible if they hadn't been giving you grief when you were trying to inspect it that you would've noticed the differences and not accepted it wrongly.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-16-2014 at 02:03 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Thanks. No I ordered the right gun, it just didn't come as advertised. I ordered the gun in this picture. I received the one I took pictures of above. I'm just worried because I didn't catch this in the store I'm gonna get stuck with it. The other problem is its a rare gun, in the sense that they aren't readily available online. I don't necessarily want a refund, as that still won't get me the gun I thought I bought, if that makes sense.

screenshot_2014-04-04-07-47-14.jpg  

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 04-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

BTW, in the description it does state fiber optic sight and 2 dot fully adjustable rear. But nevertheless this isn't the slide that is supposed to come on it either.

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 04-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Well, then contact Bud's, tell them they shipped the wrong gun and ask how they want to take care of the exchange. You can see in the pic you posted that those are fiber optic sights and not night sights. With the difference in the slide as well, you should have no problem a making your point.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Mongo Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Cool. Thanks for the comfort haha I could just see dollar signs wasted. I'll keep everyone informed of buds reply

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What you have is a Rock Island 2011-Tactical single-stack Night, a new model for 2014 that comes with Mepro night sights and no forward serrations on the slide. The small logo on the left of the slide has been standard on Rocks since last summer (though on their website they show the Tac 2011 VZ with the big billboard and forward serrations). That also seems to be the gun in the Bud's advertisement. They didn't send you what you thought you were ordering and you apparently didn't inspect it before accepting delivery. They should have no argument about shipping you the correct pistol but read their material carefully to see if there is anything about substitutions in the event of previous sale.
BTW - that small gap at the barrel hood isn't really anything to worry about. If the hood moves when you press down on it, that is a problem and indicates that the lugs aren't seating properly.
Good luck with your situation.

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #9

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense, although they should update their website. I did inspect it when I picked it up, but honestly, I didn't notice the serrations until I got home. The night sights I were ok with, and the logo, but as simple as it seems, when I realized the serrations were different that was kind of like the last straw in it not being ok. It really changes the look of the gun. The whole reason, aside from the bottom rail, that I purchased this one instead of a cheaper Tac FS 2 model, were the serrations. Either way, I want the different sights. Even if they say that's how it comes now, I'm going to ask if they can 1. put an older slide on it, 2. change the sights back to fiber optic/2 dot, or 3. just take the gun back. Bottom line is I ordered a gun that came in a different configuration. If they want to say that's how it comes, then they need to update their webpage. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks again

PSA 16" Mid upper
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30

My deviled egg farts

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Bud's is a clearing house.
They are in with other gun shops.
Make sure it came from Bud's and not another shop (like Southern Sports).

The way to tell is to get back with the shop that did the transfer. The information should be in their bound book.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)