Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > i let this speak for its self..(pic)..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
what's wrong with finding out how accurate the pistol is to begin with, then working on his freehanded and off-handed shooting? i'm pretty sure his groups at 29-30 feet would have even been tighter. he was just wanting show off his nice group and get an attaboy and a pat on the back, not criticism. gee, you must be a real drag at parties!
lol!!...some folks just gotta pi** in your Wheaties. Good shootin' vito!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19942 Times on 11332 Posts
Likes Given: 50269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
lol!!...some folks just gotta pi** in your Wheaties. Good shootin' vito!
i know Sonic. it wasn't like vito did something stupid or boasted about some imagined well done feat. he shot a good group with his pistol and just wanted some encouragement and acceptance. hell, i would have been proud to have that grouping at 20 yards! and sure would have bragged too, but would have told everyone i was shooting one handed, and standing on my head!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #13

I'm Gunna have to challenge u on 20 yards, I never rest, but I do get a group like that without rest. Will be at the range this week, will update ya. Maybe a video too ^^

Old 12-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice group Vito.

The standard to which I train my students is a mag full into a paper plate sized target at the longest distance they will shoot in their house...as fast as they can do it accurately.

As accuracy increases, and group size decreases...speed up again.

HOWEVER...that's defensive shooting.

I think you did a fantastic job making sure where your point of impact (POI) was, and how much accuracy your pistol was capable of with YOU at the steering wheel.

I am a FIRM believer that pure marksmanship is one key component to developing a "total shooter".

You showed some good marksmanship there.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
what's wrong with finding out how accurate the pistol is to begin with, then working on his freehanded and off-handed shooting? i'm pretty sure his groups at 29-30 feet would have even been tighter. he was just wanting show off his nice group and get an attaboy and a pat on the back, not criticism. gee, you must be a real drag at parties!
Actually I stay away from parties.

People fall into a trap by shooting distances when the idea is to hit things closer. I can name some LEO that got into trying to push their distances and then got to where they could not even qualify with target distances.

The gun's ability will be better than the shooter's ability. If one wants to shoot long distances, then they need the better ammo than factory provides.

Now ask why handgun competition does not shoot long distances.

There are a few written accounts of shots being made at 100 yrs with a police issue sidearm but it was mostly guess work based on what the gun did at normal distance.

And I am not against people seeing what their gun will do but rather why not get very proficient with in reason and work your way out. Runners do not start with marathons. They work up to it. The same with shooters.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

People fall into a trap by shooting distances when the idea is to hit things closer. I can name some LEO that got into trying to push their distances and then got to where they could not even qualify with target distances.

The gun's ability will be better than the shooter's ability. If one wants to shoot long distances, then they need the better ammo than factory provides.

There are a few written accounts of shots being made at 100 yrs with a police issue sidearm but it was mostly guess work based on what the gun did at normal distance.

And I am not against people seeing what their gun will do but rather why not get very proficient with in reason and work your way out. Runners do not start with marathons. They work up to it. The same with shooters.
man lighten up! just let him have his moment of having shot a good group. and even using the ammo he did, it still damn good shooting. like i said before, all he wants is a little recognition and a high five, not criticism. at 60 feet even shooting from a rest, it was a very good shot group.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Good stuff!! Ya gotta love seeing that outta your gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
Nice group Vito.

The standard to which I train my students is a mag full into a paper plate sized target at the longest distance they will shoot in their house...as fast as they can do it accurately.

As accuracy increases, and group size decreases...speed up again.

HOWEVER...that's defensive shooting.

I think you did a fantastic job making sure where your point of impact (POI) was, and how much accuracy your pistol was capable of with YOU at the steering wheel.

I am a FIRM believer that pure marksmanship is one key component to developing a "total shooter".

You showed some good marksmanship there.
Base line for me is if i can drop every shot into a standard 11x8 sheet of paper (general size of an average mans chest), rapid fire, @ 10 yds, then "I'm in there".

Of course i "get it" that a defensive situation is COMPLETELY different then standing at the line.

Why do some folks have to criticize EVERYTHING and EVERYONE? Enough criticism and folks will simply quit posting their pictures and videos! What fun will this place be THEN?!?!

Anywho, GOOD shootin'. Looks like you got a straight shootin' piece there!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #18
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Good stuff!! Ya gotta love seeing that outta your gun!

Base line for me is if i can drop every shot into a standard 11x8 sheet of paper (general size of an average mans chest), rapid fire, @ 10 yds, then "I'm in there".

Of course i "get it" that a defensive situation is COMPLETELY different then standing at the line.

Why do some folks have to criticize EVERYTHING and EVERYONE? Enough criticism and folks will simply quit posting their pictures and videos! What fun will this place be THEN?!?!

Anywho, GOOD shootin'. Looks like you got a straight shootin' piece there!

11X8 or 8" paper plate...same standard. I won't split hairs over that. I'd use the paper just as fast as the paper plates...but we still have about three hundred eleventybillion of them left over from a BBQ!

I don't think I was critical of vito at all...I told him I thought he did a good job and showed some good marksmanship.

I love to bench my .22 BuckMar and blast clays off the berm at 100yds...just to practice sight alignment and trigger control.

All part of the puzzle.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #19

AZl, i don't think fmj was refering to you. you weren't critical of vito's shooting, but sounded very supportive. and that was my point, he probably just wanted some acknowledgement of some good shooting. i don't see the need for someone to post a comment and criticise someone else for no reason. strikes me as condescening and critical. we all need encouragement and advise from time to time.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #20

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

People fall into a trap by shooting distances when the idea is to hit things closer. I
Quote:
can name some LEO that got into trying to push their distances and then got to where they could not even qualify with target distances.

Gud greif- Stop naming names & ouoting quotes & looking at the backside of everthing anyone does
The guy shot a good group & i'd be proud of it too
Admit it & keep your "booklearning" in the classroom

BTW- I doubt you get invited to parties

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET