Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I come in peace...why 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Why 1911???!!!!

Because.....because....well, just because!!! Okay???

Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #12

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I accept your request and hope you accept my response.

First, I am a big glock bigot. There, I got that out of the way! I signed up and started to drink the glock kool-aid with the first gen G22. I bought the propaganda along with tens of thousands of other gun owners! My cognitive dissonance kept me asking why this gun never felt 'good' in my hand? And why did this 40 cal kick more than the 45 ACPs I had shot? My hubris denied me the thought that I had made a mistake. I shot thousands of rounds down range with the G22, and yes, with no real issues for 12+ years. I never warmed up to this pistol.

I had stayed away from 1911s because of a childhood scare experienced at age 5. My Dad had me shoot his M1911A1 with disastrous results. The recoil nearly knocked me out, the sound was overbearing and the fact that I didn't hit the target was brought up to me quite often from 5 to about 11 when I shot the gun for the second time. I did hit the target that time but did not enjoy the experience.

I satisfied my gun requirements for the majority of my adult life with shotguns/hunting and target shooting with 22 rifles and cowboy rigs for the handgun aspect.

I mentioned my cowboy genera above and while fondling a Ruger Blackhawk the gun salesman handed me the G22 and the whole sales pitch. I walked out of the store that day with my first autoloader.

While shooting with friends I was kidded with the "plastic fantastic" comments and took an offer to shoot a 1911. Before I shot the gun I commented how good it felt in my hand. Anticipating the increased recoil I jerked the trigger, flinched at the gun's report and overall botched the first mag of 45 ACPs. Luckily for me, my friend had gone through this same procedure with someone else and handed me another loaded mag along with some 1911 familiarization. Both of us are engineers and what he did was explain technically why the "good" feeling was experienced. It is one thing to notice the differences but to have them explained to you highlights the superiority of the design.

Within a week I owned a Colt 1911 and have never looked back. I have a policy to never sell a gun once I purchase it. A bad gun is better than no gun! I still have the G22 and use it to demonstrate the brilliance of the JM Browning design to anyone wanting to purchase a glock!

With respect to the increased magazine capacity let me refer you to Jeff Cooper and his take on capacity.

“It has never been clear to me why increased magazine capacity in a defensive pistol is particularly choice. The bigger the magazine the bigger the gun, and the bigger the gun the harder it is to get hold of for people with small hands. And what, pray, does one need all those rounds for? How many lethal antagonists do you think you are going to be able to handle? Once when Bruce Nelson was asked by a suspect if the thirteen-round magazine in the P35 was not a big advantage, Bruce's answer was, "Well, yes, if you plan to miss a lot." The highest score I know of at this time achieved by one man against a group of armed adversaries was recorded in (of all places) the Ivory Coast! There, some years ago, a graduate student of mine laid out five goblins, with four dead and one totaled for the hospital. Of course there is the episode of Alvin York and his eight, but there is some dispute about that tale. (If you read it over very carefully you will see what I mean.) Be that as it may, I see no real need for a double column magazine.

Come on down to Ft. Lauderdale for a canebrake training session. I can also show you the superiorty of the AR platform over the AK!

Here's a visual aid titled glockssuck.jpg;

I actually read someone on the FTF state that the lousy trigger on the glock is a design feature! They portrayed the excessive take-up as a safety function. Only glock would take an engineering screw-up and turn it into a marketing feature.

Please read the following posts:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f56/new-g19-one-pipe-15051/#post133931

Like I have said before:

I'm not a bad guy.

I am a glock bigot!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I still hate that stupid G19 One in the Pipe thread.

Talk about Kool-Aid. Sweet 7 pound Baby Jesus - that is the koolaid thread of the year right there....

Quote:
The Glock is the best military sidearm ever...

blah,blah,blah - Infidel!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Eff ergonmics. It's about economics and bricks. I can get a Glock for less than $500.00! *snicker-snicker*

Do ya keep one in the pipe?

(we need a sarcasm smilie)

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by canebrake; 08-12-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2577 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Few can argue that a 1911 is the fastest into action of any pistol available. The 1911 style platform is the winningest in the competition arena (IPSC, IDPA, etc.). A single stack shooter is more likely to hit the target with the first shot than a double stack shooter. 8+1 is not a disadvantage if you hit the target every time.

Steel. Craftsmanship. Beauty. Most 1911's are works of art.

For me the latest rendition of the Glock puts the ridges of the finger groves right against my overly large fingers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My first 1911 is "on deck" for my next gun purchase, so I'm certainly no expert on the subject. I do like their trigger systems and they have a very natural point. They earn major points for style and feel.

If you find a way invest some time behind a 1911 and you still prefer the Glock, then you've got your answer. After all, there's no sense in spending twice as much money for a gun you don't prefer. Buy what you like, especially if what you like costs significantly less.

Glocks are fine guns. They're an ideal gun for the masses...simple, reliable, durable, low-maintainance, and reasonably affordable. They fill a direct purpose and they fill it well. They're the Toyota Camry of the gun world. But for anyone in the market for a polymer gun, I think Springfield XD offers all the best qualities of Glock and more for a similar price. I don't think Glock is a bad purchase at all. It just seems that XD is the best option in that market.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #17

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

The best reason I can think of, you can't put pimp pearlite grips on a Glock!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The OP already stated that he was interested in a Glock 21, and he has already given the impression that he does not really like the 1911 platform as much.

Consider the question solved when it was asked.

It would probably be best not to degenerate into the whole 1911 vs Glock argument again, because in the end it really doesn't matter, and it's kinda annoying to be honest to hash out the same thing over and over.

To the OP. Get the Glock 21. If the grip is a little big for you, get the Glock 21 SF, and call it good. I'm almost 100% positive that you'll be happy with it.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
P.S. You also have the Glock 21 listed in the "Handgun Wishlist" thread, so it seems you have already made up your mind.
Wow, SGT, you are very perceptive and keep those eyes on the forums! I, indeed have the G21 on my wishlist. That post is what is causing me to rethink my plan. That, and a YouTube post on proper hand grip. He taught thumb placement that is simply impossible on the Glock.

And there is a wonderful invention called an extra magazine. I think some people have even been known to carry--GASP--2 extra magazines. I am certainly willing to consider a 1911 if the rest of the platform is better.

The whole safety thing isn't a plus for me, but the "fireablilty" issue very much is. In .45, it better be a great gun to handle the larger load and stainless steel seems like a good option.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #20

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Was this some sort of slam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What was that about, tango?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face