Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I come in peace...why 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default I come in peace...why 1911?

Canebrake, this is a great question for you. My reasons for all of my gun purchases thus far have been SD, not hunting. My Glock has 15+1 rounds. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos on the 1911 .45 and was surprised to find that they generally have 8+1. The Glock full-size .45 has 13+1.

The double-stack of the Glock apparently gives it a grip that is too fat or brick-like for some, and videos showing "proper" grip often teach a grip only possible on the single stack 1911. I kinda like that brick in my hand.

Now from a "mo' is betta" frame of mind, I'm wondering why I should buy a 1911 .45 instead of that Glock 21 I'm looking at.

Seriously, I have no malice in my question. I'm not trying to stir the pot. I just want to make the best decision for my money. I want a full-size .45 in my collection.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not a 1911 owner YET (I have one on lay-away) but here is how is why I'm getting a 1911 instead.

1. They feel good in my hand

2. They have several manual safeties instead of just the trigger safety of a glock

3. The solid construction

4. Exposed hammer. Its just personal, but for me I like exposed hammers.

5. The history behind it as opposed to the history behind Glock. (I'm no gangsta yo.)

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Have multiple 1911s, had a Glock 21. The only thing the G21 has is capacity, but to achieve it the grip feels like a 2x4. All I can say is find a range that rents 1911s and shoot one - all the questions will be answered. I never knew how good I could shoot a pistol until my first 1911 - for lack of a better explanation they are just "natural" shooters.

Also, I've never felt undergunned with 8 rounds of .45 at my disposal in a platform I shoot extremely well. I do have a high capacity .45 though, it's an XD Compact and it will carry 13 with the extended mag. The XD is my truck gun as I don't care if it gets banged up and it's much more comfortable to hold and shoot than the G21 (at least for me)...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you called out Cane - so I am going to leave this to him....

Oh Caaaannnnnneeeeeeeee!!

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I think I saw him over at the counter checking out a glock.
(That should get him over here )

I can only answer for why I like 1911's.
A glock is fine for punching holes in paper at the range when you have time to take your time - heck, I even own one - but for anything past that, including self defense, I choose the 1911. For one, the frames just "fit" me and my hand. They're easy for me to conceal, even under a t-shirt. The trigger is clean, short, and precise making for comfort in any self defense situation that may arise. The overall package of a 1911 is more naturally pointable for me. I know that with my Glock 27, a quick point and fire results in holes that are consistent, but off point of desired aim. Any of my 1911's in the same situation are consistent and ON the desired point of aim. In a high stress situation, I don't want to HOPE that a quick shot is on target, I want to KNOW that the shot is on target. I have that assurance with my 1911's. ALL of my 1911's. This stuff may not apply to everyone, but it does to me, and that's why 1911 is my personal defense weapon of choice. Now if you go into the joy of owning one, that's a whole book and how you can make the platform your own and customize at will. This is just about the defensive aspect of the weapon for me.
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com

Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You just answered your own question.

You stated yourself that you kinda like the Glock better.

Quote:
I kinda like that brick in my hand.
Buy the Glock 21.

P.S. You also have the Glock 21 listed in the "Handgun Wishlist" thread, so it seems you have already made up your mind.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #7

I currently carry a Glock 21 for work, I like it but some find the grip to big. I have big hands so it fits. I went to the Glock from a Sig Pro and it took some time to get accustomed to. I also own a Colt 38 super in a 1911 frame. I know this is not a 45 but it does have similar fetchers. I have also shot the Kimber and I liked it a looot.

Both guns are good and are made well. If you go with Glock look at the SF frame 21. I have not shot it but holding it, it was nice. Felt like a Glcok 22 or so. You also need to keep in mind the price on both, for a good 1911 you are looking at a lot of $'s. Not that they are not worth it but you need to think what you will be doing with the gun. I would not like to roll around on the ground in fight with a Kimber but my Glock that is cool. Like the other said go some place you can shot both and try them out. Happy shooting.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have big hands-well I've got pretty big hands too. Have you ever hrard of Para Ordnance 1911s? You can get up to 14+1 shots of .45 with the P-14. They (Para Ord) got their start in 1986 offering double stack frame/conversion kits, and expanded from there. Sti has had double stack frames/guns out for several years now. Heck-even Taurus is getting into the act with their pt1911hc. Try one of those on for size.

Trying to explain to a person about 1911s, is like trying to explain riding Harleys or actual combat-you just don't know till you've been there or tried it. 1911s offer the perfect grip angle, have multiple safety features, feels the most natural of any centerfire pistol I've ever shot, has natural "pointability", and is the most combat/time proven design of all witout anything else even coming close. Reliability? ANY 1911 set up right will feed ANYTHING-even empty cases straight out of the magazine! Try that with your polymer gun. How many polymer guns do you see handed down like the all steel 1911? I could keep going forever but you get the idea-I'm sure Cane has a MUCH better way with words than I do-besides you directed this post at him anyway. Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Canebrake, this is a great question for you. My reasons for all of my gun purchases thus far have been SD, not hunting. My Glock has 15+1 rounds. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos on the 1911 .45 and was surprised to find that they generally have 8+1. The Glock full-size .45 has 13+1.

The double-stack of the Glock apparently gives it a grip that is too fat or brick-like for some, and videos showing "proper" grip often teach a grip only possible on the single stack 1911. I kinda like that brick in my hand.

Now from a "mo' is betta" frame of mind, I'm wondering why I should buy a 1911 .45 instead of that Glock 21 I'm looking at.

Seriously, I have no malice in my question. I'm not trying to stir the pot. I just want to make the best decision for my money. I want a full-size .45 in my collection.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

The ergo on the glock is all wrong. It sits too high in the hand the grip is built like a dam 2x4. If I wanted to hold a 2x4 in my hand I would go to Home Depot and buy one and make a gun out of it. Grip angle is not right for me either.

I also don't like any gun that will not allow me to shoot reloads in it. The unsupported is used because cop don't know a dam thing about guns. They don't clean them properly so the unsupported helps extraction because your ammo sat in your gun for 6 months before shooting.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post