Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I AM PISSED!!!!! (rust on my Kimber barrel)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have 8 Kimbers in the house, all but 2 are series II, ranging from Customs, Ultra Carry, a couple CDP's, a couple Eclipses, and a Raptor. I don't do anything out of the ordinary, as far as cleaning, care, storage for any of them, and have never had any of the issues as mentioned here.

And a couple were carried daily in some of the most humid locations on this planet, with only normal cleaning and wipe down with Tetra cleaning and lube.

Sorry to hear about all the problems folks are having with their personal guns out there. I'd keep bugging Kimber for resolution if it is indeed something that they have starting doing differently on their product.

Slo

Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 AM   #42

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Rust on ANY blued weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Ok.

Crisis averted.

I went back to the dealer and spole with a professional individual that is very knowledgeable in the world of Kimbers. He owns several, and he is very familiar with this issue.

It is due to how the barrels are produced at the factory. When they are done, the very top finish of the barrel is a little prone to surface rust. It only affects the very outer layer of the barrel, so it's not too much of an issue.

He offered me this great polishing/protecting compound for the Kimber, and my barrel is back to a nice shine. All I have to do is apply this every 5-6 months while I'm cleaning the weapon, and I shouldn't have any further issues. The rust issue is common, and so is this fix. The factory does the same thing when people send the barrels back to them.

I am happy and satisfied. My barrel actually looks better than when I first got it. Plus, it's protectedf ro the time being. I also bought some dessicant to keep moisture out of the case it's in.

I reacted with emotion first instead of logic, and I apologize for that. Once I looked into the issue, and resolved it, it's really a non-issue. Just a quirk with the brand.

Everything is good to go.
I have been reading this old post, Sarg, and the first thing came to my mind==do what I do to all blued guns-light car wax on all the exterior surfaces. Been doing that for years-even works on Colts

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #43

Likes Given: 5

Default Rust on my Kimber barrel

Just what is the name of this "great polishing/protecting compound".

Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #44

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs369 View Post
Just what is the name of this "great polishing/protecting compound".
Mother's Chrome, steel and polishing protection cream. Inexpensive and you can do your Harley and your guns, no rust, ever. Walmart.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 AM   #45

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I wish I took pictures but it was too sad a sight too photograph...
I took my Kimber to the range, where it was raining, shot it, put it away wet, in the case at noon when I was done. At 8pm (8 hours later) i opened the case to clean it, and it was covered...covered in rust! The frame, the trigger guard, all over the slide.. Even the mag was covered in rust. I've NEVER seen that amount of rust on a gun, not even on my .22 which sat in a closet for 5 years before I finally found it...
Wow...
Some frog lube and a sock cleaned it right up, it looks good as new now, but damn...don't let Kimbers stay wet for any amount of time....lame.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 02-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #46
Resident Lurker / Retro AR nut
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 665 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I wish I took pictures but it was too sad a sight too photograph...
I took my Kimber to the range, where it was raining, shot it, put it away wet, in the case at noon when I was done. At 8pm (8 hours later) i opened the case to clean it, and it was covered...covered in rust! The frame, the trigger guard, all over the slide.. Even the mag was covered in rust. I've NEVER seen that amount of rust on a gun, not even on my .22 which sat in a closet for 5 years before I finally found it...
Wow...
Some frog lube and a sock cleaned it right up, it looks good as new now, but damn...don't let Kimbers stay wet for any amount of time....lame.
Zombie thread.

I left my Taurus 1911 in my car for 3-4 days once, it had surface rust on it when I got it out, but it wiped right off with rem oil.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 02-28-2014, 07:12 AM   #47
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2081 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 433

That & Frog I used when I had a single rust spot from Wearing my LC9 IWB against my bare hip,..now I pull up my Boxers esp. Since they a size bigger now and more Baggy,....it's a good thing!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #48
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #49

Liked 1705 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Zombie thread.

No kidding.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #50

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Springfield XDS, great little baby 45 if you can live with low capacity mags!
Rust Free around 500 out the door-

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk