Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > I AM PISSED!!!!! (rust on my Kimber barrel)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Flash rusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
It was surface rust.

I keep the weapon oiled. I'm big on cleaning and keeping my weapons oiled, so that is why I was surprised to see this.

I'm good to go for the time being. If the rust returns, I'll be able to take it back and either exchange /trade for something else.

Don't get me wrong. The Kimber is a great shooting 1911. This thing is super smooth, and accurate, and I will still recommend it to others. The rust freaked me out, that's all.
I was reading the label on a can of Birchwood-Casey gun scrubber that said it prevents FLASH RUSTING.. Has anyone heard of this?? Maybe that is what happened to your gun,Sarge!!
Seems like this rust issue is a concern to the posters on this thread.
I don't think this issue happens to generaly Kimbers but could happen to most guns anytime..

Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #32

Default Rust on the barrel

I shoot sti 2011 and svi 1911 both with bar-sto barrels - and i too had rust on the barrels....I guess the problem is handsweat when you clean it and reassemble the gun. I`m from Europe and a friend told me about NEVRDULL. It is a sort of wool which bikers use to get their bikes shiny. Got it in a bikeshop and it works great. The rust is gone and it leaves some sort of lubrication on the barrel. Don`t know if it is available in the US but you could look for it- it`s real cheap too. Never had any rust anymore. Please excuse my english - it is not my mother-language.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #33

Likes Given: 5

Default Rust on my Kimber barrel

Just what did you use, Sgt?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #34

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
I shoot sti 2011 and svi 1911 both with bar-sto barrels - and i too had rust on the barrels....I guess the problem is handsweat when you clean it and reassemble the gun. I`m from Europe and a friend told me about NEVRDULL. It is a sort of wool which bikers use to get their bikes shiny. Got it in a bikeshop and it works great. The rust is gone and it leaves some sort of lubrication on the barrel. Don`t know if it is available in the US but you could look for it- it`s real cheap too. Never had any rust anymore. Please excuse my english - it is not my mother-language.
Something comparable to what you have mentioned I use on both my guns and bikes. It is called Mothers steel and chrome polish. You can get it at Walmart, it's not that expensive and it keeps rust off and polishes at the same time. Never had a rust problem with either the firearms or the bikes since using.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #35

Likes Given: 2

Default Rust

To add to comments by Dillinger, I was at the local shooting range this weekend. Went up to the gunshop with my better half for the obligatory look around.

The guys behind the counter were discussing the surface rust on Kimber 1911barrels. It sounded like this surprised them and the condition is very recent.

Check with Kimber directly and get your complaint on record.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Like I posted on another thread about this very same thing, I bought my Kimber in 2005, and have carried it almost daily since. I have never had any rust. It is a Tactical Pro II, and I did buy it 4 years ago, maybe that has something to do with it?
I would like to know what the product was you used to polish it with though. I might want to pick some up, just in case.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #37

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
I use NEVRDULL, but have not tried it on guns. Good stuff, and it is avail in the USA.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Dang, this thread and the other on the same topic, made me concearned. I took my Kimber apart and scrubed it down and gave it a proper oiling. If nothing else, this thread got me off my a$$ and made me take care of my baby.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have ten Kimbers, one, rusted a week after I purchased it. Cleaned rust off, used a good rust preventive, has not rusted since. I have read that some of the newer barrels rust easily.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #40

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have two Kimbers (a Pro CDPII and an Ultra Carry II LG) and both are in the wood shop more than they're on the range. They get cleaned before and after shooting, but other than that not between shooting sessions. I handle them ALL the time in the fitting of grips without any care and I've not had any rust on either of them at all. It's humid in KC too during the summer. I read the post about this possibly being a recent issue and that makes sense to me in light of mine. I've owned them both for almost 2 years.
I hope you find a remedy to it or that at least we find out why this is happening on newer models.
Sarge

Exotic wood .45 grip maker
www.thefinergrain.com